Can't seem to get this silt-like dirt out of my pool

Slime Bag.

Get a Slime Bag

I have this same issue from time to time. I suspect it is pollen in my pool. If I open to early I get lots of pollen. Or maybe it is even dead algae. Either way, my filter does not get it out - even through it is a DE filter.

Whenever I see this stuff start collecting on the bottom (always in the same place, furthest from the return, where the water slows down) I throw my slime bag on the return. The next day, after the normal two 3 hour filter / chlorinate cycles I run each day, all of the offending dust / pollen / deal algae / whatever is gone, and it does not return (at least for a few weeks)

Reactions: mickey4paws
It's interesting you mention this - this was an INSANE year for pollen here!! When we opened the pool there was a ton of it floating and it's all over everything outside. Our furniture almost looks like someone spray painted pollen on it! It's never been remotely like this before.
Same with Atlanta. My robot basket would be packed with a yellow paste. I had some floating on top but after cranking the pump up and opening all valves it cleared

Brand new cartridges, right out of the plastic, in the filter after the water was clean

Filters went in clean and this was from the immediate SLAM that followed. (A total swamp, not what you have, just for reference) C68CDE7D-3D28-419D-A6CC-D766C82E98DC.jpegthe filters were cleaned at this point and 3 weeks later this was my normal pollen accumulation. (Relevant to your situation).
87EE9F49-E8A8-48DC-BCBC-5C052C6D8627.jpeg35D82F91-14E1-45E4-AD51-0B4F424F5D88.jpeg92A59522-43F8-4213-AC76-B1A0325C8113.jpeg

You’ll want to clean yours in a few weeks too. They might not be this bad, but they won’t be great either. Lol.

Filters went in clean and this was from the immediate SLAM that followed. (A total swamp, not what you have, just for reference) the filters were cleaned at this point and 3 weeks later this was my normal pollen accumulation. (Relevant to your situation).

You’ll want to clean yours in a few weeks too. They might not be this bad, but they won’t be great either. Lol.
I changed them after the water was already clean. They were gross. The whole filter carcass was filled with gross, dirty water so I drained it.

Reactions: Newdude
Slime Bag.

Get a Slime Bag

I have this same issue from time to time. I suspect it is pollen in my pool. If I open to early I get lots of pollen. Or maybe it is even dead algae. Either way, my filter does not get it out - even through it is a DE filter.

Whenever I see this stuff start collecting on the bottom (always in the same place, furthest from the return, where the water slows down) I throw my slime bag on the return. The next day, after the normal two 3 hour filter / chlorinate cycles I run each day, all of the offending dust / pollen / deal algae / whatever is gone, and it does not return (at least for a few weeks)

I'll look into that. Thanks!

It also goes without saying to continue your due diligence on the chemistry just in case there is some algae there as well. And again, GREAT job so far !! Keep it up.

It also goes without saying to continue your due diligence on the chemistry just in case there is some algae there as well. And again, GREAT job so far !! Keep it up.
Of course. My friends and neighbors joke about the water. Call me the "Walter White of pools". Bought my first TFT kit in 2012 and been keeping the water crystal clear ever since.

Reactions: Newdude
I had this problem last year. When I'd vacuum the vacuum head would kick up the dead algae and it'd be suspended in the water. After a few hours it'll settle and I'd have that fine powder back on the pool floor.

What I did was use a piece of PVC pipe stuck into my vacuum hose and slowly without disturbing the water, hover the end of the pipe over the powder and suck it up. 1 1/2"@ a time. It was tedious but it worked and after I did that it didn't come back anymore! Likely your vacuum robot is stirring it up because it is so fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool is smaller but I use a vacuum jet kind of vacuum. I have to attach 2-3 skimmer socks to get the silt off the bottom and it takes a few passes to let whatever cloud pouffed up to settle. I also put a sock over the out valve to catch anything that bypasses the filter. I still have a bit of silt but I also have some pollinating trees about 5 feet away so it’s a constant battle. Btw I also slammed— it took about 5 days and the water is clear as a bell, just little areas of fine brown silt will collect. When I look I. The sock it’s a gritty kind of dirt but so so fine it escapes the filters. I’m in southern Cali. Just thought I’d share

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.