Cant replace hot tub light.

Jan 20, 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
I just moved into a new home and notice the hot tub light is burned out. I drained the water and tried to replace it but just could not figure out how. It seems the bulb/housing assembly are all one unit and there are no brand name/markings on it. i can only pull it out of the wall a few inches (the picture shows as far as itll go) and it seems the wiring slack ends there.

Attachments

• 64471.jpeg
    64471.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 64470.jpeg
    64470.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 64469.jpeg
    64469.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 12
What manufacturer and model is your hot tub?

Look around the control panel or where the pump and heater are. You need to look around it’s insides for labels.

Last edited:
Warren,

I suspect the light and cable are all one assembly... You need to look from the outside of the spa and follow the wire back to the relay board. Just unplug it and plug in the new assembly when you get it.

If you show us a couple of pics of the whole hot tub, someone here may be able to tell you the brand and model..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm pretty sure that those are Jandy Nicheless LED lights . As eluded to above, find where the light is terminated and disconnect it there and you can pull it out.

CAUTION: Before pulling the light out, once you disconnect the wires, connect a string or small rope to the end of the existing wires to where it won't come off and then pull the wiring out and the rope into the conduit. that way you can connect the rope to the new wires and pull them into the conduit.

Before you buy a new light make sure of the voltage of the current light so you can match it.

ETA: Here's a link to the light on Jandy's site. Jandy Nicheless LED lights. Download the user manual and you'll see how they work.

Last edited:
Yes, thanks Bama Rambler it looks like mine is model number jluw10 or jluw15 (both the same just different wattage) but it seems they dont make those anymore and there is an updated design now (jluw9w50 for example) can i still find my model anywhere for a direct replacement or will these newer ones just thread into the existing housing in my hot tub.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have had several of the newer Jandy nichless lights fail - so far all under warranty...so keep that in mind.

Do you only have one light to replace?

Since my light warranty time is up I have a future plan in place to switch to some different lights that will still work with my Jandy automation and control equipment. My research has led me to SR Smith Treo LED lights or the Kelo LED lights - which look like they use the same 1 1/2" fitting that the Jandy Nicheless LED's do and seem to have good reliability. As a bonus they are cheaper than the Jandy lights.

Just something to look at as an option.

I also think that the new Pentair LED lights would also be an option to look at.

Just be sure to tie a string/twine to the existing cable when pulling the old light out. That will save you a headache of trying to get the new cable through the conduit. And keep in mind that you need to keep the cable/twine junction as small as possible. I usually remove the insulation on the wires back about 2" and wrap and twist that into the twine and then tape it about 4" long a couple of layers.

Well, theres good news and bad news. The light install itself went smooth i tied the end of the cord of the new one to the beginning of the old one and pulled it through, wired it in exactly the same way as the old one. I go to turn it on and nothing. There is a transformer that both the pool light and hot tub light connect to. The pool light is the same model except it is the colored light version the new hot tub one is just white light version. The transformer is a 120v ac input 12v ac out put. I tested the input it is right around 120 volts, the output is only at 6.5 volts or so at both the pool and spa light connections. im guessing when the light burned out in the hot tub It damaged the transformer? What im confused at though is the pool light does still work with this voltage, although it seems kind of dim. Is it possible that older models of this light still work on lower voltages but newer ones need the full 12v? My next step is i will order a new transformer box and replace it.

Attachments

• transformer.jpg
    transformer.jpg
    951.7 KB · Views: 10
  • px100.jpg
    px100.jpg
    576.6 KB · Views: 10
Yeah, sounds like the transformer is bad. It could have been the transformer failed first, but there's no way to know.

If the pool light is incandescent it will certainly work at the lower voltage, and some LED's will glow at lower voltages, but the newer ones are pretty picky about the voltage range that they'll work with.

I got the new transformer, i decided to test the old one one last time and it turns out i was testing it wrong. I put one test lead onto one of the two output wires on the transformer and one to a ground in the junction box and it was showing 6.5 volts that way, however when i hooked up the negative test lead to one output wire and the positive to the other then it shows 13 volts, so the transformer was good (thats why the old pool light still worked). Since i already had the new transformer i installed it anyway. Turns out the new hot tub light i got is defective. To make sure i hooked it up together with the pool light that still worked and only that pool light worked (hot tub and pool lights are on separate circuits normally). So now i have to return or exchange the hot tub light.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.