Can’t recommend Cirrcupool anymore

There is no way any kind of water could do that much damage to a properly made blade... I could see it doing that if it were in an acid bath for 2 months.. The first picture is the other blades in the set with nothing wrong with them??
Yea, hard to imagine unless one blade was submerged in water and the others in air like the above picture from Rancho?

Oh my have never seen this kind of damage. Not from the water for sure. I'd say more current for some reason was going through it, more then the rest, if not all the current and nothing on the other plates for whatever reason.

Like I mentioned in post #13, I think the problem lies in the power supply. Both cells have had the same set of blades damaged. I finally got someone over there to send me a RA for the power supply. It was shipped back to them this morning. In all honesty, I don’t know what to expect now. Maybe they find a problem, maybe not.

I’ll update when I hear something…..

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hear is closer pic of where the blades are attached to the electrode. Obviously one set is corroded all the way thru, while the other set looks new.

Attachments

• 130E9008-0A8F-4548-AD15-22EB85C11E47.jpeg
    130E9008-0A8F-4548-AD15-22EB85C11E47.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 41
  • 66750029-69E8-40CC-A523-2021FCD5AEDC.jpeg
    66750029-69E8-40CC-A523-2021FCD5AEDC.jpeg
    356.5 KB · Views: 41
Way back in the day I had one of the original salt cells that mounted to the inside of the pool wall. On this cell you could replace each plate individually and yes when the plate started wearing out it would decompose like that. I remember paying about $50 to replace all 5 plates and they were 6 x 8 inches each.

It was a wonderful system but it kept eating power supplies. In the end I resorted to replacing parts on the board to get it to work until I couldn't get it to work anymore since they stopped making parts for it. It also did not reverse polarity so you had to pull the blades apart to clean them every month or so. Cleaning involved immersing them in acid and the acid had no impact on the coating or any of the exposed titanium alloy. Btw the plates were much thicker than the ones displayed above.

Hear is closer pic of where the blades are attached to the electrode. Obviously one set is corroded all the way thru, while the other set looks new.
That obviously has nothing to do with your water chemistry.. If it was the water every blade and connector would look exactly the same... If this is the second one that looks exactly the same then there is something wrong with the power supply/brain, majorly wrong...

Like I mentioned in post #13, I think the problem lies in the power supply.

It was a wonderful system but it kept eating power supplies.

Do modern SWGs commonly have issues with power supply failures? I haven’t really noticed mention of this in the SWG threads I have read through…but I have only started looking into them. How realistic is it to expect the control portion (including the power supply) of a Cirrcupool/otherNameBrand SWG to last for multiple replacements of the salt cell itself?

BPKlein, I am very surprised that your pictures/experience didn’t inspire more investigative interest from Cirrcupool.

Do modern SWGs commonly have issues with power supply failures? I haven’t really noticed mention of this in the SWG threads I have read through…but I have only started looking into them. How realistic is it to expect the control portion (including the power supply) of a Cirrcupool/otherNameBrand SWG to last for multiple replacements of the salt cell itself?

BPKlein, I am very surprised that your pictures/experience didn’t inspire more investigative interest from Cirrcupool.

My Aqua Rite, installed March 2004, has had the main board replaced once (in 2009).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just heard back from Circupool. They are stating that there is nothing wrong with the power supply.

Now the debate is…. Do we buy another cell and keep our fingers crossed? ($700 gamble)
Or do we buy a whole new unit? ($2000) and no idea how long it will take to get one.

That's a tough decision. Your pool volume kind of limits your choices. Before I bought my Circupool, I kicked around the idea of a Stenner injection system. If I had your type of luck, I would probably have gone that route.

Have you confirmed that your unit is set up for the correct voltage? If I recall correctly, the older SJ Series were delivered set up for 240 volts. I'm sure you've thought of this though.

Reactions: BPKlein
Do they say how that side / blade is dying a horrible death.. There is no way it is water chemistry because all the blades would look exactly the same..

There is no way I would buy another cell and connect it back to the same machine that has killed the last 2... You say you have the SJ55, how long have you had this SJ? I remember they started out with the SJ55, then went to the SJ45 then they dropped it to SJ40..

I just went from the SJ 45 to the RJ 60 and man what a difference in build quality and the system is just WAY Better.. The weight of the brain is crazzy, The heat sink on it is HEAVY and always keeps it nice and cool.. Ask them if you can trade the SJ55 for a discount on the RJ 60 (depending on when you bought it).. My SJ 45 lasted 7 years with the same cell but the last year I had to run it over 12 hours to create enough FC...

The only other way you could go would be Pentair IC60 but I think it would be more expensive and good luck finding one right now... You could bury a 55 gallon drum in your yard and hook up a stenner pump to it and once a year go get 55 gallons of 12% chlorine.. A SWG is still easier :)

Here is the kicker, what if the same thing happens with another SWG, then there is something wrong with your setup but the only way you will know that is if you get a different SWG and it does the same exact thing..

Understand that Circupool is just a marketing company.

They do not design or manufacture their SWGs. Nor do they do any quality control over what they sell. That is different then the SWGs being sold by Jandy, Hayward, or Pentair.

Circupool buys product in quantity from various Chinese manufactures. That is why they have different models that look different and work different. They put their brand on white label product.

In the business deal with a manufacture there is an allowance for a certain percentage of defective product and after that it is deducted from manufacture payments.

So Circupool in the US has no interest or incentive in investigating why product fails.

To an extent they do care about customer satisfaction and their reputation so they try and make things right with product exchanges.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.