can't prime hot tub

Aug 8, 2014
bannockburn/md
as winter approaches i close off my pool but keep my connected hot tub running. this year the old drain covers - dual drains - in the hot tub broke and some pieces got sucked into the pipe to the point that i can not get the pump to prime when only pulling water from the hot tub. i found a decent size piece in the pump basked as well a a few acorns. when i blew my pool lines i was able to blow air out the hot tub drains - but can not get enough water flow to prime the pump - the pump is about 2 feet above the hot tub. a local pool guy suggests perhaps some flexible pvc may have been used in my 80s sylvan pool that has collapsed. i'm hoping someone can scope it and perhaps pull the obstruction out. or use more air pressure to dislodge. can the drain line be snaked? otherwise i may be in for some digging and concrete breaking to clear the line... any recommendations for pool techs/plumbers in my 20817 area who could help?

Instead of trying to blow air backwards to the hot tub, you might try a water bladder device like a Drain King or the one below. Perhaps the air is just slipping past the broken pieces, but water might grab them better. If you can snake the lines ... sure. Try that as well.

full

should i try to blow from the pump or from the drain?
While not a guarantee, since the cover parts seemed to get sucked in at the drain, I would try to push water backwards from the pump to the drain in hopes of dislodging anything that may be jammed in there. Let us know how it goes.

i used the drain king from the pump and water came out of drain - but nothing else.
spa drain is about 10 feet from the valve and another 20 feet to the pump. but flow was fine until the drain covers broke sometime this summer.
i have found a baltimore company (Excalibur Leak Detection) that can scope the pipe to see what is going on - but i will try a couple more things first
1. i ordered an adapter to be able to connect the hose to the pump drain plug - once it arrives i will try to prime with the hose running. if it primes i will turn off the hose and see if it keeps running.
2. open the drain diverter valve to see if perhaps the clog is at that junction.

the scope guy says there is no grabber device to try and pull out what is found.
once i can see it - maybe i will try a plumber's snake. if i have to break concrete and dig up the pipes - what difference will it make if i break a pipe with a snake?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.