Can't keep the chlorine in - SLAMming in Canada!

1000ml pool : 2500ml distilled water (FC 0)
The strips are tough to read up top. What should the 1:1 reading be given a 3 @ 1:2.5?
I believe you need to go by the total amount of water to the pool sample amount. So adding equal parts would be 2:1 or 1:2 depending on which way you look at it. Your 1:2.5 would actually be 1:3.5.

So:
This morning:
Diluted 1:1 = 9 (would be 18 ppm)
Diluted 1:2.5 = 3 (would be 10.5 ppm)

I'm afraid it's still not very accurate.

Kim, it's more clear than ever. Even the leaves I vacuumed up from the bottom have no green on them.
Re. the kit, I have family on both sides of the border. Can't wait!

Mike, I suppose using the more diluted samples, I read a 7ppm loss. It seems too bad to be true!

I'm going to test the undiluted all day and see how long til I get below 10. At least then I can use the pool!

Hey Rob,

Only place to buy the k-2006 in Canada is from their exclusive distributor. That's where I bought mine, and I just ordered more FAS-DPD reagent because I've almost run out. You have to email them and they will send you an order form, you fill it up and email it back and they ship it to you. It ships quite quickly, they're somewhere in Ontario so you should get it in a day or 2. It took 2 days to get to Montreal. Here is the link below. (PS don't compare the US prices on Amazon and the Canadian prices, even with the exchange rate it's crazy more expensive here. This is an instance where ignorance is bliss).

Lowry and Associates - Pool, Spa and Industrial Testing Products

Now in terms of Chlorine. I like this one from Canadian tire. It's 10.8% and at least in my local store they haven't been on the shelves too long, because when I use pool math and add the stated amount, I get the exact jump in chlorine levels that I calculated.

Aquarius Liquid Chlorine, 5 L | Canadian Tire

Good luck with the SLAM.

Thanks, fklash. I have a TF kit on the way, however complicated that was to get up here! Also will be visiting Canadian Tire for my next batch of the good stuff.

Update on the pool - I think it's safe to say that the SLAM was a success! Many thanks to everyone here. I would have thought the amount of bleach was insane without all of the convincing evidence here ;)

The pool survived the whole hot day (10+ hours of direct sunlight) with 6ppm or so to spare.
Looking forward to nailing down that daily demand once my kit arrives.

Cheers!

-Rob

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm assuming your pool is round; it's maybe an 18' X 48 or 52 or 54 inches high (sorry u.s. units).

What kind / size of ladder do you have in it?

When I bought my 18'X54", the salesman was trying to get us to pull the trigger, so he offered us an upgraded a-frame type ladder. Turned out that thing stuck way out in to our pool, and we physically could not swim around the pool with that big ladder in an 18' pool. We took it back and traded even for an elcheapo plastic ladder that goes straight down and rests on the bottom and goes through the deck through plastic mounts on the upper end. We put concrete in the three grids near the bottom to give it weight to stay down and so it wouldn't move around coming up or down it; a couple of bath mats tied around the bottom so as to not damage the liner, and just slid it through the mounts on the deck w/o bolting it down on the outside. The purpose of all of this, even though it's got bath mats and twine that can collect algae, is that I simply slide it out from the mounts and remove it about every three weeks or when I have to SLAM; Remove the ties and bath mats; clean it all with bleach and water via a spray bottle pre mixed; a rag and brush every little nick and cranny. ; rinse it all and let it sit in the sun while I'm scrubbing walls and floor and around the return, skimmer and jet. Tie the mats back on and slide it back in the pool. That ladder is the only item kept in my pool, so when it's out; it's just the liner, and other pool equipment that I have to worry about.

Don't know what you've got for a ladder; what size ladder you need to make it work for your family; or if anything I do is this is the TFP way, because I've not read enough about cleaning equipment. But I find with a small pool, this small, easy to remove and re install, elcheapo ladder makes it easy for us to ensure it's being kept clean. Also, since my ladder is an easy to remove proposition, whenever I SLAM, I get peace of mind knowing that the ladder may not be leaching something that's on it and is working against me, because it's not in there.

The pool is an oval 12'x24'x48".

The ladder is huge and heavy with full-size plastic steps. I definitely struggled to get it out by myself with all the water weighing it down. I really didn't see or feel anything dirty on it so I just left it out of the pool for 24+ hours while the SLAM was going. I do like your idea of a lighter ladder and agree that I probably should be cleaning it frequently (maybe I got lucky this time). It does get in the way of the swimming a bit too.

Thanks!

-Rob

Update time!

I've had the TF-100 for almost two weeks now and things are going great. The water is still sparkling and the chlorine demand is predictable and reasonable :)

PH is stable at 7.6
TA will be tested this weekend but was 85 with the rainbow & store tests
CYA 50
FC is being kept between 5 and 9
CC is usually 0 but sometimes 0.5

I found that the blue solar cover does an amazing job at keeping the chlorine in. My pool gets direct sunlight for about 10 hours and without the cover I lose 3 or 4 ppm/day. With the cover on, I only lose 1 or 2 ppm. I think it depends on how dirty the cover is but it's definitely worth putting it on when we aren't using the pool all day. Seems like it's off enough time to get rid of CC too.

I also found that even while maintaining target FC, we still get some algae on the dead leaves and dirt at the bottom of the pool. It's only visible in bright sunlight with the pump off for a while. I can vacuum more often and it only gets better from here.

Thanks TFP for giving me control!

-Rob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.