Can't increase temperature on Hayward H400FD Heater

Jul 29, 2018
FL Panhandle
Have something strange happening with my Hayward heater (about 3 years old). A couple days ago, we had a heavy rain and when my wife went to turn the heater on right afterwards from the Omnilogic app, it didn't fire. Went outside to check on it, and it was displaying an IF code. That's happened a time or two before, no big deal, wait for it to dry out and everything's fine the next day.

So next day when she went to turn the heater on with the app, the heater doesn't even attempt to fire. The app is communicating fine with the control panel (which shows the same settings as the app), heater displays BO as normal, it's just not firing. So took it out of bypass mode and put it into pool mode to attempt manual control, and noticed that while I couldn't increase the temperature setting, I could decrease it. I put it in spa mode (we don't have a spa, just a pool) which has a higher temp setting by default, and the heater fired up. While in spa mode, I pressed the down key and temperature setting decreased, but the up key would not increase the temperature.

Have tried to power cycle the unit a couple of times, no change in behavior. Took the keypad off the unit to inspect the wiring and the boards, visually everything looks fine. Reseated the ribbon cable between keypad and board, no change. So it seems the unit is not responding to commands to increase temperature, regardless of whether the inputs are coming from the control panel or keypad. But also, it is not responding reliably from the keypad either (like sometimes I press the mode button and nothing happens; also now when I put it in standby mode, both the standby and pool lamps are lit. But in spa or pool mode, only those lamps are lit). So maybe the keypad is flaky, but if that was the case wouldn't it still work from the control panel in bypass mode? Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot further?

Welcome to TFP.

It could be a bad keypad or a display board problem. I suggest you put a warranty claim into Hayward and see how they respond.

@ps0303 @Pool Clown ideas?

The problem with being able to adjust the temperature up and down and getting the heater to fire manually from the keypad appears to be a keypad problem. But even with a new keypad, I still can't control the heater when in bypass operation from the Omnilogic control panel.

But even with a new keypad, I still can't control the heater when in bypass operation from the Omnilogic control panel.

Describe what you can't do.

Check the low voltage connection between the heater and the Omnilogic. Post pics of both sides of the connection.

The heater does not seem to respond to instructions from the control panel. The status on the control panel say the heater is on and it is heating, but the heater never even attempts to fire. The heater works normally from the keypad if I take it out of bypass operation.

Doh! Nevermind. After reviewing instructions for bypass mode, I realized that after I changed out the bad keypad and put the heater in bypass operation, I forgot to change the mode from Standby to Pool. I'm able to control it now from the panel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.