Harrisburg, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi. I opened my pool a few days ago and I am only making very slow progress clearing the water up for an unknown reason. I have had the pool for 10 years and never had this problem. Per my typical opening the water was initially clear, but alot of worms (scooped out) and algae/dirt on bottom. Added salt as needed, water ph=7.5 at start of shock and CYA=25. Per poolmath chlorine has been maintained at 10-12 ppm for the first few days. After an initial bottle of hypochlorite I was able to maintain Cl2 level with the salt water generator alone. After getting frustrated at lack of progress I bumped to about 17 ppm before bed last night with a half bottle of hypochlorite and seemed to make a little more progress and level dropped to 15 ppm overnight…I can finally start to barely see the white main drains (6 ft) and water is starting to get the normal cloudy blue color I am used to seeing before it hopefully clears up shortly. Anyone have an idea why normal shock level isn’t working? It seems like there is something requiring a higher than normal shock dose. Thanks.

Your cya may be a little off.
You’re using the turbidity test correct?
Colder water can sometimes affect the test. Make sure the sample is at least room temperature.
If it reads between two lines - round up for chlorination purposes. (ie. 25=30)
Be sure you’re doing the test in bright light (outdoors on a sunny day, back to the sun is best)
Be sure to do all the things listed in the
SLAM Process article.
& also verify you’re reaching slam level for your cya. There may be old liquid chlorine on the shelves so you must check date codes.

Your cya may be a little off.
You’re using the turbidity test correct?
Colder water can sometimes affect the test. Make sure the sample is at least room temperature.
If it reads between two lines - round up for chlorination purposes. (ie. 25=30)
Be sure you’re doing the test in bright light (outdoors on a sunny day, back to the sun is best)
Be sure to do all the things listed in the
SLAM Process article.
& also verify you’re reaching slam level for your cya. There may be old liquid chlorine on the shelves so you must check date codes.
Thanks for the advice. I do follow the SLAM process. The only thing I can think of is that the CYA is measuring lower than actual. I use the turbidity test and never had an issue with it in the past.

One other thing- The reagent lasts a long time when stored properly but it does eventually get old.
Upon my last refill I was surprised by my results being higher with fresh reagent!

Just thought about that and grabbed a new bottle of CYA reagent I bought end of last year and had stored in the the cool basement…same result somewhere around 20-25. Doesn’t make any sense, but regardless I am slowly making ground now at the higher chlorine level and can now at least start to see the bottom of the pool.

Reactions: Mdragger88