Winter Garden, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital Nano+ PPC2
Hello! I am looking for some advice as a newbie. I have never owned a pool before and having one that is almost 3 months old. I have been doing pretty ok with most of the chemistry, keeping it at least in the recommended ranges (according to Pool Math) except for the TA and pH. The TA has risen from 70 to 100 over the 3 months and I can't get the pH under 8.2. That has stayed steady since the pool started up. Over that time we have probably added around a total of 1.5 gallons of 31.45% muratic acid. The pH will not budge. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Your pH will continue to rise with a TA of about 100. So now that your pH is at about 8.2 or so, use enough acid at one time to lower the pH to about 7.0 - 7.2. That has a much more dramatic impact on both the pH and TA. When the pH rises back to 8.0 or so, repeat. Each time you do that it should lower the TA a little which in-turn should help to stabilize the pH. A TA of about 60 should be good for you. Remember that if this is a new pool, new plaster is still curing which also increases the pH. If you have any aerating products like a waterfall, spillover, bubblers, etc, turn them off except for a small period each day as they increase pH as well.

Also regarding TA. It should not go up unless you add new water or add baking soda. So be sure to refer to our recommende chemicals pages and the PoolMath APP for any adjustments. If you have any other questions let us know.

B,

I suspect your pH is higher than 8.2.

Do you mean you can't get pH to come down at all, or that it won't stay down?

As a test you should add 30 oz of 31% MA. This will drop your pH by .6, so if your pH is 8.2, it should drop it down to 7.6 Wait an hour and test your Ph again, and if it is still at 8.2, (which I doubt) do it again.

Let us know the results of the test.

Thanks,

Jim R.

My pool and plaster are 3 months old. I'm easily 1 gallon per week to keep it 7.4 to 7.8. It's slowing down a tad in appetite, but more months of this I'm told. Can't see how 1.5 gallons over 3 months has been anywhere near enough acid to do you anything.

Yes thank you! Did 32 oz of MA and it lowered to 7.5. Will add more to start lowering TA.
Sounds like on track now. I test every day, and by now, I can tell you what it has climbed each day before I even test, but I verify by test. After a week of doing it, you will come to know when and how much it's going to take.

My plaster is almost 3 months and I add about 1/3 gallon ever other day. I test every 1 or 2 days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
B,

I would just leave TA alone for right now. It will come down over time. When your pH gets back to 7.8, keep knocking it back to 7.5 or so.

When the pool is new and you are new to testing, you should test often... it won't take long for you to "learn" your pool and you can then start taking longer between tests.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: PoolStored
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.