Cant get my alkalinity down enough

May 21, 2010
Im starting a swg system and my alkalinity was 150 when i started. I lowerd ph to 7.2 and it got down to 110. need it around 80. this has been for a day now. I am aerating now to get ph back up or should I keep it low so alk will come down more. How do I get it to come down more?

no. i wanderd if that would work. I thought of going and buying a cheap one at walmart, but didnt know if it would work well. I want a fountain, but I dont know if any of them will work with a intex easy set pool.

pitmanr2003 said:
well my ph went back up to 7.5 so I lowered it down again with dry acid to 7.0 but alkalinity went up. it was 100 and now its 120. I dont understand how. Im going to recheck maybe i made error.
A common complaint here. It's probably static electricity on the R-009 reagent. Wipe off the tip with a wet paper towel between drops. Do a search for "static" down at the lower right of the webpage and you'll find it comes up a lot!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did that. I checked it again and got 100. I must of miss counted. I always stop adding drops once it changes from green. If I add more drops it gets redder. Do I count till it goes red or just when it changes slightly

pitmanr2003 said:
Ok its higher than I thought lol. I think its gonna take a while. Ha

You really don't NEED to make any effort at this TA, just let the pH go up then bring it down. You can let it get higher than 7.5, I let it go to 7.8 then drop it to 7.2.

Be careful about going to 7.0 because as the TA lowers then the muriatic acid required to change pH is less. So, be certain to test TA before you lower the pH by much for if you overshoot and get 6.5 instead of 7.0 you might do some harm.

The kids had alot of fun "inventing" PVC fountains. Just start with a male adapter that will screw in your return fitting (1 1/2" standard) then add pieces to bring it up out of the water and change direction. My favorites:

Cheap no drill fountain: threaded male adapter>>street elbow>> foot of PVC>>22.5 degree bend (DVW type)>>threaded female adapter>>screw in your eyeball. You can position it vertical for very high waterworks, or just a bit above horizontal to rifffle the surface.

Redneck Model T: threaded male adapter>>street elbow>> foot of PVC>>Tee>>(2) one foot long pieces of PVC>>2 caps. Drill 1/8" along top part of tee, at a 45 degree angle.

You can also use those flexible bendy pieces that look like adjustable drinking straws (I think they are made for sink drains). Or you could just go to Walmart....... but what fun is that? I lowered my TA from 230 to 80 in as couple days with the model T (and 8 gallons of acid a quart at a time)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.