Can't Get CYA up

Kalannar

May 23, 2020
St. Petersburg/florida
I have a in ground 13471 gallon plaster salt water pool. My last readings today using TF 100 are:
FC - 0
CC - 0
PH - 7.5
TA - 120
CH - 325
CYA - 60
Salt - 3400

I have been fighting to get CYA up to 75, this month I put in total of 4 lbs of dry using sock and 3 quarts of liquid and still has not improved. I also can't keep my FC up either. I have to add chlorine to the pool manually to keep it at the recommended levels. I did the overnight test where I check the chlorine level at night, then check again in the morning but only lost 0.5. Any ideas? Thanks.

Although your CYA is slightly below the recommended 70-80 for a salt pool, your main problem is no FC. How long are you running your system and at what percentage?

Not sure how big your pool is so you should fill out your signature with that info and how you are testing your water.

Did your salt system just stop working? Is the cell free of scale? I'm not very familiar with the IC40, but are there any red lights indicating trouble?

Not sure how big your pool is so you should fill out your signature with that info and how you are testing your water.

Did your salt system just stop working? Is the cell free of scale? I'm not very familiar with the IC40, but are there any red lights indicating trouble?
The pool just got built. The pool is been on salt for a month now. I have been manually putting the chlorine in myself to keep it there, but it keeps losing the chlorine. The over night test didn't see lost due to night, so it is the sun eating it up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
how much chlorine are you adding each time
how often are you adding
what test kit are you using
try taking a sample from the pump return with the chlorinator running and see if you get a much higher test result
(hold your vial in front of return and then fit cap whilst still under water)

If your CYA is truly 60 it should hold liquid chlorine just fine especially this time of year. How much are you adding, what is the strength of the chlorine, and how many gallons is your pool?

how much chlorine are you adding each time
how often are you adding
what test kit are you using
try taking a sample from the pump return with the chlorinator running and see if you get a much higher test result
(hold your vial in front of return and then fit cap whilst still under water)
The test kit I am using is the TFTestkits TF-100. I am using the poolmath to determine how much to add. I added 50 ounces to get to 4 ppm. I will try test at the return.

The problem with liquid is that the CYA doesn't dissolve in the gallon. The top portion is much more dilute than expected, and at the bottom of the jug there's a slug of super-concentrated sludge. Unless you put the entire container in and rinsed it several times to get it all out, there's no way to predict how much you actually got. So it's not surprising that you're testing lower levels than you calculated.

Wait a week after your last CYA addition to test. Then believe your test results, use Pool Math, and add what's needed in dry CYA to get to your target.

Reactions: mguzzy and mknauss
Start by adding enough LC to take your FC to 10. If you are not holding FC this time of year you most likely have algae. I know that you passed a OCLT but you may want to repeat that.
I had the same thought and pushed my chlorine to 8 ppm. Just tested and I am now at 16 ppm after two days. So I think I am now building chlorine. I shut off the salt cell and I am going to let it drop. Then will see if I can hold it. I will test CYA on Wednesday. Thanks for the help guys.

Are you adding liquid stabilizer because you have it on hand? The problem with liquid as mentioned above is that is very difficult to get accurate dosages because of the sludge in the container. Unless you need to use the whole container (128 oz) I would recommend dry stabilizer using the sock method to disperse in the pool.

Has your FC remained at safe levels?

Are you adding liquid stabilizer because you have it on hand? The problem with liquid as mentioned above is that is very difficult to get accurate dosages because of the sludge in the container. Unless you need to use the whole container (128 oz) I would recommend dry stabilizer using the sock method to disperse in the pool.

Has your FC remained at safe levels?
FC has dropped to 5 ppm, so I turned the salt cell back on, trying it at 40%, see if I need to increase. I have dry stabilizer, with the sock method am I putting it in a actually foot sock and sticking that in the skimmer then running the pump for 24 hours?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.