Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2021
Longview, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
My Chlorine is always high. I've set the SWG at 30% which is extremely low for pool math says I should be at. I'm referring to just the quick 5 drop test.
My FC is 13, CC 0 and CYA is 40 but I'm working on getting that up to where it needs to be.
Is it possible my SWG is producing 100% even when I'm programming to produce 30%?

Yup! When you want more chlorine you can either run the pump more hours or turn the SWG up to make more. Running the pump more than necessary is providing you with excess chlorine. Just run the pump enough to keep the surface free of debris that blows in, if you want.

So here we are with cooling days and the sun has lowered in the sky and your SWG is performing as it did in mid summer, right? So the solution is to either run the pump less hours or turn the SWG down.

You still can swim in the water safely as long as the FC is no higher than your SLAM level which is based on your CYA level. So since a 40ppm of CYA requires 16 ppm of FC, you're safe to swim!

Does this help?

Maddie 🐞

13 hours is quite a long time to run the filter. Is it a low energy use (eco) pump? If you need thirteen hours to get adequate turnover through the filters then either turn down the chlorination output or switch the cell off when it’s produced your chlorine needs and leave the pump running. It’s relatively easy to estimate the setting required if you know your pools chlorine consumption, the volume in litres and the SWG’s rated output in g/hr.

You could turn it off for a couple days until the fc gets in a more normal range (4-5ppm) then turn it back on at the reduced setting & see where it gets u then adjust as necessary.

Reactions: ccbill and Newdude
13 hours is quite a long time to run the filter. Is it a low energy use (eco) pump? If you need thirteen hours to get adequate turnover through the filters then either turn down the chlorination output or switch the cell off when it’s produced your chlorine needs and leave the pump running. It’s relatively easy to estimate the setting required if you know your pools chlorine consumption, the volume in litres and the SWG’s rated output in g/hr.
What is turnover, no such animal.

I found when mine was high this time of year it was easiest to turn it off for several days. With much less daily loss, (low sun angle and shorter days) if I produced anything at all I broke even and stayed high.

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm gonna run it a few hours each morning to get the scum off the top and vacuum. I have a lot of trees around the pool so there's always a top layer of stuff. Then let it sit idle and run again when I get home from work if needed.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is turnover, no such animal.
It’s not an animal. It can be a tasty pastry with apples and cream though.

Simple concept, and I am sure that it is covered on here, perhaps with a different terminology. Turnover is just the ratio of the volume passed through the filter to the volume of the pool. How many times you need to turn over all the volume of the pool each week will depend on your particular equipment and the type of particulates present and the time of year temperature.

I have my SWG running via a second timer which piggy backs off the pump timer. The SWG timer alternates on/off. So it comes on say 2 hours, then off 4 hours. The whole 24 hours cycle is programmed like that, so it's simply turning on and off whenever the pump is running.

I find it a useful concept to quantify the pump speed. I think of it like a pump speedometer. My low flow setting has much lower turnover than full speed.

In some ways the idea of "turnover" is a bit misleading, as it suggests all the water in the pool has literally cycled through the filter, whereas in reality the water is mixing the whole time. Much of the water (and hence contaminents) will never pass thru the filter in any given turnover.

Last edited:
In some ways the idea of "turnover" is a bit misleading, as it suggests all the water in the pool has literally cycled through the filter, whereas in reality the water is mixing the whole time. Much of the water (and hence contaminents) will never pass thru the filter in any given turnover
Exactly. If the current amount of water passing though the filter isn’t enough to handle the current crud falling in the pool, you need more water going through the filter, not more ‘turnovers’. But the industry will suggest the turnover as a quantifiable amount, which it can’t be. They set a standard amount but it changes drastically throughout the season for everybody.

So we simplify it and custom trailer the advice that folks need to run until they don’t, *and* to reevaluate as often as needed.

A myth.

Why do you say it's a myth when TFP's own resource, that you linked, uses exactly that term. The rest of the article pretty much says what I said. How long you run your pump and how much volume you filter depends on individual circumstances. If you prefer to talk about pump run time rather than the proportion of the pool water that is filtered, that's fine, but they're flip sides of exactly the same coin. I've always found for my pool, that in summer 8 hours is good and in winter 4 is sufficient. YMMV. We get a lot of organic matter and dust blowing into the pool, so it needs more filtration. The guy at the local pool shop swears that six should be enough, but he also thought that my pool must be really shallow because he could see the main drain so clearly. He was quite surprised to learn that it's over 6 feet deep at the deep end. Most of the pool owners on here, know what really clear water looks like. My local pool professional, clearly doesn't, but he's also happy to tell me I run the pump longer than I need to. I get a fairly large amount of entertainment out of that.

1634870733530.png

I find it a useful concept to quantify the pump speed. I think of it like a pump speedometer. My low flow setting has much lower turnover than full speed.

In some ways the idea of "turnover" is a bit misleading, as it suggests all the water in the pool has literally cycled through the filter, whereas in reality the water is mixing the whole time. Much of the water (and hence contaminents) will never pass thru the filter in any given turnover.
Absolutely, filtering a pool is a bit like shuffling a pack of cards and redealing. In any given pumping period, you are always going to filter some of the water twice and some of the water gets missed. But the suspended material you're filtering out is also mixing so it doesn't have to be perfect. It really doesn't matter whether you're talking filtering water or air or any other material. These are continuous systems and not batch processes and so they're not 100% efficient. With a pool you're probably lucky if it's 50% efficient. So what matters is working out how long you need to run your pump for your pool, in your particular circumstances. How people choose to express that is probably less important. Whether you want to talk about turnovers per day or week or pump run times it doesn't actually matter, same thing, different name. Making an absolute declaration such as "You must have 2.7 turnovers per day", that would be a bit silly, you just need to filter your pool enough to keep it clear and that tends to vary from pool to pool.

Why do you say it's a myth when TFP's own resource, that you linked, uses exactly that term
The myth is the industry advice that your pool needs X turnovers a day and is set in stone

The first truth is your pool needs as many hours of filtering as it needs. It might be 12 hours in the spring and 2 hours in July.

The second myth is that the pool doesn’t actually turnover. Maybe 50% makes it though the filter as the rest of it just keeps mixing and mixing.

But we use the term and discuss it as an industry term. Flocculant is another industry thing we are dead set against. It’s still a term too and is discussed the same.
:)

Reactions: Leebo
100% with you on the flocculant use. Flocculants are what I have done for a living for over a quarter of a century in industrial and mining processes. Everything from potable water and municipal waste (sewage) paper making, industrial water treatment, mining and general solid/liquid separation processes. I think in terms of pools there is fair degree of opacity (if you'll pardon the pun) around the chemistry used. Many products contain alum, which is going to contribute sulfate to the pool. Not at high concentrations for an individual dose, but these things build up. The other common "flocculant" in pool treatment is a cationic polymer called polyDADMAC (polydiallyldimethylammonium chloride). It's also used in potable water treatment in some jurisdictions, particularly to capture additional turbidity or to assist in capture of cysts such as cryptosporidium and giardia in sand filters. As polymer based products don't contain sulfate, and are effective at very low dose, they probably have a use in speeding up the recovery of a green pool, but I would avoid then in cartridge filters as they polymer tends to adsorb onto the filter medium resulting in blinding of the filter cloth, increased back pressure, reduced flow rate and so on. It doesn't come off easily either so you're looking at a new cartridge. So in sand filters I would use it if I had to, but in cartridge filters I would avoid it as new cartridges are expensive. Cartridge filters are generally more effective than sand filters, so typically a flocculant is not necessary. In the vast majority of cases, they are completely unnecessary, but they are one more product that the pool shop can sell you. So typically they will tell you that you have a few hundred ppb of phosphate and absolutely must precipitate it with lanthanum. So this produces very fine particles that may take a few days to clear in a sand filter so they want you to use a flocculant as well. If the pool is properly sanitised and the water balanced, none of this is necessary.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.