Can't get Chlorine to hold

And no more dead algae on the bottom of the pool. I had that stuff gathering (only when pump was on) for around 6-7 weeks after I opened. Just thought it was dust. Got my FC to acceptable levels after being here, did a quick two-day SLAM even though my OCLT was 0, and suddenly I have no "dust" on the bottom of my pool anymore!

Should I keep levels at SLAM for a little bit longer due to the dead mouse? Or since there is no CC it should be fine?

My pump pressure hasn't raised much over the SLAM (1 PSI), should I still backwash?

And no more dead algae on the bottom of the pool. I had that stuff gathering (only when pump was on) for around 6-7 weeks after I opened. Just thought it was dust. Got my FC to acceptable levels after being here, did a quick two-day SLAM even though my OCLT was 0, and suddenly I have no "dust" on the bottom of my pool anymore!

The "dust" on bottom was very minimal only seen on edge of floor seams, no built up areas of small piles. With continued correct FC range should that be fine to continue to kill any potential algae that could possibly remain?

Should I keep levels at SLAM for a little bit longer due to the dead mouse? Or since there is no CC it should be fine?

My pump pressure hasn't raised much over the SLAM (1 PSI), should I still backwash?

Go to your normal FC target following the FC/CYA Levels

Normal FC levels can handle a drowned mouse in the water.

Sequesterants don’t remove stains. They capture metals to prevent stains.

What CYA do you have and what do you want to raise it to?

Sequesterants don’t remove stains. They capture metals to prevent stains.

What CYA do you have and what do you want to raise it to?

I have a CYA of 30. I was thinking going to 50, see if that is sufficient?

Regarding the stains, is there anything that can help remove the stains that isn't AA?

I was thinking of adding some "Stain and Scale" after SLAM as all the chlorine added has raised the calcium level and I have some build up on the SWG cell now.

I have a CYA of 30. I was thinking going to 50, see if that is sufficient?

Regarding the stains, is there anything that can help remove the stains that isn't AA?

I was thinking of adding some "Stain and Scale" after SLAM as all the chlorine added has raised the calcium level and I have some build up on the SWG cell now.

We had the CYA discussion in messages 107-111. I don’t see why you need to increase your CYA given the issues you still have with it.

AA is the chemistry that lifts the stains.

I suggest you stop putting magic potions in your pool. Do you know what is in Stain & Scale and the effects you expect?

We had the CYA discussion in messages 107-111. I don’t see why you need to increase your CYA given the issues you still have with it.

AA is the chemistry that lifts the stains.

I suggest you stop putting magic potions in your pool. Do you know what is in Stain & Scale and the effects you expect?

That's exactly it, I only want to put in what is necessary. No more junk.

The problem with "Stain and Scale" is it doesn't tell you the exactly chemicals in it... I bought it and used it previously after the AA treatment to capture the lifted iron and it seemed to clear the water.

I'm a rookie here, I was susceptible to the pool store guy "you need 'this' for that" previously. I'm trying not to do that now. Only what's necessary now and was hoping there might be a proven solution for stain removal besides going through the whole AA treatment again. (Not lowering FC to 0 again this year)

Regarding the CYA, now that the SLAM is complete. I thought the pool needed to be around 60 since its a saltwater pool... Doesn't it?

If you are ready to turn on your SWG then raise your CYA up to 60-70.

What is your salt level?

Dependig on whose "Stain and Scale" product you have you can look up the MSDS for ingredients. It is a bunch of polymers and acids.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What do you think is salt cell cleaner? All you use is muriatic acid.

How bad is the scaling? Every time you clean your cell it reduces its life.

Have you cleaned the cell before?

So, for the build up on the salt cell should I just grab some salt cell cleaner?
First see if you can remove the scale with a strong flow of water. If not, use a 4 parts water, 1 part muriatic acid solution to put in the cell. Once it stops bubbling, wash it out well.

Try to manage your pool water chemistry so you do not build scale in your cell. Each time you use acid on it, it reduces its life span.

What do you think is salt cell cleaner? All you use is muriatic acid.

How bad is the scaling? Every time you clean your cell it reduces its life.

Have you cleaned the cell before?

It's not too bad... some between two of the plates. Better to leave it and see it the self clean will break it free?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.