Can't get chlorine level to rise. What am i doing wrong?

Yaguci

Jun 1, 2020
Northborough, MA
Total newbie here. First week of owning a wading pool, summer wave 10' x 30". (1072 gal)

Filled it up with tap (city) water on Monday. It's 3rd day today. Local pool supply store recommended and sold me Omega Super Shock (12.5% sodium chloride). However, I keep adding this stuff but can't get chlorine to register on the testing strips. Every time it's "white".

What am i doing wrong?

I have the app, subscribed, and keeping a log of everything so far.

Thank you for any assistance.

Welcome to the forum!
You may want to consider following Seasonal Pools
You do need a drop based test kit. Something like a 5 way test kit from Walmart or Home Depot. Strips are worthless.

Thank you for the feedback. TF100 is out of stock everywhere, so I ordeter the Taylor K-2006. It will arrive on Monday. Since its a new fill, in assuming I'll need conditioner first. So you recommend liquid or solid? I have 1000 gal, AG vinyl, with tiny pump. 600 gph, I believe. I'll replace it soon. I ordered a 1000 gph pump already.

TF100 is only available through TFTestkits.net.

I assume you decided to not follow the Seasonal Pool process.

Solid CYA granules will work. Put them in a sock to dissolve.

Your chlorine level could actually be high and bleaching out your test strips making it appear that you have none. While you wait for a test kit, try doing a dilution of your sample with tap water to determine if it is bleaching your strip

Reactions: Mike1162
no, just getting started and yes I am using the dreaded test strip (Clorox Brand). and my ph is high and both chlorine levels are very low. I have a fiberglass pool (16,000 gal) saltwater system. however, it is not operational yet. So I have been adding shock. Kids just want to swim so I'm doing what can to keep them safe. We just poured the concrete around the pool. And it has been a bear to get that stuff out. So, If my Chlorine is too high, bleaching the strip, what ratio (pool to tap water) should I use to see if it that is the case?

so on the chlorine to high, what is the ratio of tap to pool water?
Try mixing 50/50. If that doesn't work you could try 25 percent pool water to 75 percent tap water. I have seen pools with over 50 ppm chlorine when they aren't being managed properly. Some test strips could bleach out when you're over 10 ppm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While you are awaiting delivery of a proper test kit, get a drop based kit at Home Depot or Walmart to at least test TC and pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.