Can't get CC down below 1

danobrien

Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2017
Cold Spring/NY
I have a fiberglass pool which I've been slamming for about 8 days now. I've also been vacuuming the pool at least once a day. I've been keeping the FC above 11 very consistently. My water looks clear. I been able to pass the overnight test where the FC doesn't go down more then 1ppm. However, I am unable to get the CC down to less then 1. A few days I tried to increase the FC to 15 or more, but still I am getting CC at 1. Here are my numbers:
FC: keeping above 11
CC: 1.0
Alkalinity: 80
PH: 7.5
CYA: 20
CH: 175

How long should it take to get it to come down to .5ppm or less? Should I attempt to keep FC even higher?

I am also seeing the PH rising every day about .5ppm. Have had to add Muriatic Acid to keep it in check. And I have unusual staining which doesn't clear up (posted a separate thread on that) with slamming and did not respond to a puck test.

Over the winter, a company added antifreeze to the pipes which I assume went into the water after opening. But I made sure they did not add anything else. After opening, I've been adding liquid chlorine(bought from home depot). Also added baking soda (Arm and Hammer), calcium chloride, and the muriatic acid.

One other thing that might be relevant. Around the pool are stones. The stones were re-cemented (in between the stones). After opening the pool, I noticed that the mortar was all cracked and in some cases turned to mush. The cement presumably went into the pool.

Also the pool was open for 10 days and the filter was not working. I added chlorine during that time to keep the level around 10. But I could not vacuum and the water overflowed. The 8 days of slamming has been since the filter started working again.

UV burns CCs. Has it been cloudy and raining lately.

If you're using a 10 ml sample for FC/CC testing, try using a 25 ml sample (2 scoops of powder/mulitply # of drops x 0.2) which will give you more accurate results. You may find you're somewhere between 0.5 and 1.0. If the forecast shows sun, you might win the battle.

The first time I used antifreeze in my plumbing, I had the same problem, including algae forming on the walls. Seems to me that my SLAM took a couple of weeks to get the CC down to zero. I still use antifreeze, but I have adapters and hoses for my return fittings, and flush the antifreeze down the drain at startup.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.