Can't get a seal on DE filter

Kelleyaynn

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2012
Wilmington, DE
I'm opening my pool, and tried to run my DE filter. I let it fill with water until it started coming out of the release valve, and closed the valve. Water is still coming out of the valve, even though it is completely "closed." When I shut off the pump, I can hear air coming out. Okay, I thought, I'll just run the pump in recirc mode until I figure this out. When I switched the pump to recirc, water started coming out of the pipe where waste and backwash leaves the system. It appears something isn't closed up like it should be, but I can't figure out where. Or could it be something else? Maybe I need a new release valve? Any ideas? Thanks!! Here are a couple of pictures of what I'm describing:

IMG_20200515_115101.jpgIMG_20200515_115234.jpg

Thanks,

Kelley

Looks like you have multiple problems.

You need a new air release valve.

And you have a problem with your MPV. Maybe a torn spider gasket. You have to open up the MPV and take a look.

Check the MPV handle is securely in the detent.

That air release is probably left hand thread. So try counterclockwise to shut off the leak. If that doesn't work, it's easy to replace with any other valved with the same standard pipe threads. Any hardware store can fix you up. So can an auto parts store. And of course the pool $tore.

The leak out the waste pipe is the spider gasket most likely. It could be something cracked, but the odds are heavily in favor of just the gasket. You can get a replacement at the pool store. There are many threads here mentioning it, and also many youtube videos showing how to replace it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.