Cant find pool leak

I am waiting for traffic to die down this evening and trying the compressed air in the drain again.

Do the main drains take a screw plug like the wall returns?

That's my next step, plug the main drain and test the hydrostatic valve.

Last edited:
I'll swim down and tackle it one handed tomorrow after work. At least I know I can hook my air compressor up and blow the lines this fall!

Can I use a plug from the return to plug the main drain?

I'll also call the pool store and see if they have a new hydrostatic valve on hand. I can replace that with 6 feet of water in the pool, right?

Just got the whole new valve setup installed. Skimmer holds pressure great. Returns hold pressure great. Main drain makes bubbles in the pool and the pressure stays at zero.
7 feet of head pressure is about 3 psi (I think you mentioned your pool is 7 ft deep at the main?). If you displace the water in the main with air and close the valve, should maintain some pressure in the pipe. If it’s actually zero, I think you found it.

7 feet of head pressure is about 3 psi (I think you mentioned your pool is 7 ft deep at the main?). If you displace the water in the main with air and close the valve, should maintain some pressure in the pipe. If it’s actually zero, I think you found it.
Its 8 feet at the main when full, but about 2.5-3 feet of water is out right now. However, I need to plug that drain line so I can get like 20-30 psi running into the line so I can listen for the leak. Results after work today!

Reactions: SoDel
Post work update: pulled main drain cover, only took 3 dives! LOL

Hydrostatic valve is bad. Not taking dye that I could see but the o rings are swelled up and chunky in a BAD way. Like over 1/4" thick.

Is there a DIY tool for these things?

I also need to get a plug for the main drain, its not threaded.

Reactions: Trk3263 and SoDel
Post work update: pulled main drain cover, only took 3 dives! LOL

Hydrostatic valve is bad. Not taking dye that I could see but the o rings are swelled up and chunky in a BAD way. Like over 1/4" thick.

Is there a DIY tool for these things?

I also need to get a plug for the main drain, its not threaded.
Yes, there is a tool and it is expensive. I don’t see replacing it an easy job (with the pool full) unless you happen to be a diver and have dive equipment. Might make sense to get an estimate on replacement and make a decision from there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pat had it right from the get go(hydrostatic plug). They do make a specialized tool for it like sodel said. You may be able to use a basin wrench on it, if you find one big enough. Taking it out with water in it seems like an impossible task. You’ll need a winter plug for that drain if you wanted to test it.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Alright, got me a new valve and rigged up a tool from some 2 3/4" exhaust pipe from the muffler shop. Get a 1 foot long piece (at least 8" or your handle will hit the pool floor) Used some 3/8 bar for a handle through two drilled holes. Used a cut off disc and a file to make slots for the valve "ears"
20220610_172855.jpg

Here is the new valve seal
20220610_171032.jpg

And the old junker.
20220610_173029.jpg

The test plug I bought is too big so I am doing another bucket test until tomorrow when I can get to the hardware store again. That valve was pretty easy to change with the diy tool. One dive to break the old one free, one to get them swapped, and a third dive to tighten the new one down.

Reactions: Trk3263 and SoDel
I have the water level marked so I can judge any water loss tonight. I won't really be able to look at it until tomorrow evening, my son has a swim invitational tomorrow so there's my Saturday. I will report back
20220610_193054.jpg
There's the new hydrostatic valve! In person the color contrast from New vs old is pretty striking. I'll put the drain cover back on once I know this leak is fixed.

Thank you all for the help and comments thus far.

@Texas Splash and @Poolbreh , I don't pay others to fix what I can figure out myself. I like to be a jack of all trades!!! Especially when it comes to vehicle repairs and home repair.

I tried that plug, the end that goes in the pipe is too big. That's the smallest any of the stores have. I'm thinking rubber stopper with something bracing it from behind to hold pressure.

Got a rubber stopper that fit and jammed it tight with a piece of pvc pipe. Dang line holds pressure! After I tested that, my wife said to check out behind the pool house. All of the standing water is gone!!!!!

I am going to watch the water level for another day but I think it's fixed. Stupid hydro valve.

Thank you again everyone with your suggestions, huge help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.