Can’t find a juntion box for my two lights

NC Beach Bum

Jul 21, 2022
Charlotte, NC
Both my lights went out so I assumed the bulbs had burned out and the breaker had flipped. When I took out the first light I noticed it was about half filled with water, the glass gasket was toast, and there was a tar like black substance and what looked to be caulk or something. Okay, time to replace it and might as well do the other since it had probably been 20+ years. I ordered two lights and had my fish ready to go. The pool lights are operated by a switch in the main house and the break is in a sun box in the pool house. Opened what I thought was the junction box (~ 2’ off the ground with three tubes going into the bottom) on the side of the main house by the main exterior breaker boxes. It had two white cords going into the junction through the same tube so thought that had to be it, but one’s black and white were not connected and had wire nuts on them. Odd, so disconnected the other, but the pool lights didn’t go off. Okay, not the junction box for the lights.

So where is the junction box? I looked everywhere and can’t find one above ground or ground level somewhere? I did disconnect the wires behind the panel and the lights turned off. Could they both be wired directly to the breaker? I could also possibly clean out all that sticky mess, buy a new glass gasket, and try and silicon the cord bracket in case water is also leaking in there.

Note: I did try to pull on the light cord in the pool to see if it moved any wires behind the panel as well as panel side and couldn’t get either to move, maybe could’ve pulled a little harder.

Any thoughts? Thanks for any help!

Post a few pics of your equipment pad as there may be a hint there.

Is there a box that looks like this anywhere on the pad or near the pool?

1658498236593.png

Bum.

They would not have run the cable under the pool, but the cable could be a 100' long. I'd look in the equipment room and breaker box and see if you can see the same color cable.

The other option is to see if you can follow the inside switch back to a junction point somewhere.

Logically, it should either be visible or inside the equipment room. If not, then the idea that someone buried the junction box is very likely.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.