Can't figure out why pool is cloudy

lborne

Jun 29, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
I have had no issues with my pool in so long, I've forgotten a lot of things I've learned here. But a neighbor has been pouring lots of money into his pool with no luck clearing up the cloudy water. It is a 7 foot deep pool, and is not terrible, but definitely can't clearly see the drains at the bottom.

20,000 gallons, plaster, standard chlorine pool with a canister filter and new filter cartridge. He runs the pump 6 hours a day, and has not had a problem for the past 6 months until about a week ago when the water got cloudy. No signs of algae growing on the sides.

I tested his water with my kit and got this:

FC=15 - he shocked it a few days ago, but is not sure how much he put in, and ran the pump 72 hrs straight.
CC=.5
pH=7.0
CYA=60
TA=60
CH=? - unfortunately I ran out of reagent

Assuming the CH is 260, the CSI index is -.75. Could the low pH be eroding his plaster and causing the cloudy water, and if so, would it be seen when the filter is cleaned? Or is the cloudy water more likely due to dead algae that still has not been filtered out? Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.