Can't beat the algae!

ddas

May 21, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I've been having recurrent algae problems for months now. I've followed the SLAM instructions several times and it still seems to keep coming back here and there.

Measured today with my Taylor kit:
FC: 7
PH: 7.5
TA: 60
CYA: 60
My SWG has been disconnected for the winter, but I'm about to reconnect it as soon as I'm in the clear.
I have a new solar bubble cover, but haven't unpacked/cut/used it yet because I don't want to get algae on it.

I have three possibly unique clues/conditions: one is at my pool steps, that's where I almost always see the algae. (So I brush it extra.) Second is that the underwater pool light in the deep end might be slightly off center (leaving a crack at its seam leading to the area behind the light), and it's possible there could be some algae hiding behind it. Third, my pool color is a blue that has some orange overtones within it -- making it difficult to ID the orange algae clearly. Sometimes I look at an orange-ish section and can't be sure if algae is growing there or if it's just the natural color of the pool. (When I brush, of course, then it becomes clear.)

I feel like I've read those SLAM instructions a hundred times. I don't know what I've done wrong. While I'm prepared to follow it again, I'd love any special, advanced tips that the forum would have for making sure it's finally licked.

I'll raise my FC to 24 via liquid chlorine. I don't mind going even higher just to be sure. (No reason not to, right?) I'll brush my pool daily. How often do I need to vacuum? Does vacuuming make a big difference? Does cleaning my DE filter make a big difference? If so, at what point do I clean the filter? After the SLAM is done? Does it matter, or is the algae all dead by that point?

At this point I'm so desperate to be done with the algae that I would also consider more radical pool store nuke solutions if it gets me clean once and for all. Recommendations welcome.

A few days ago, even with FC >5, I spotted some of the orange-colored algae on my steps. I brushed it away, and added some extra liquid chlorine in the hopes that it would help get rid of it. But correct me if I'm wrong: if I saw the orange algae growing, it's definitely going to come back until I SLAM, right? It's not like I can just brush the small area of visible algae and hope the pool is cured...

Dumb question: this is definitely algae, right? It's kind of orange-colored, appears on the walls of my pool, and brushes off easily with my brush. When a spot starts, it tends to grow unless I brush it. My water always remains clear (both before and after brushing). It's not like I'm trying to apply an algae treatment to something that's not algae, right...?

Thanks all.

In your post you say you have algae. So a SLAM is needed. Then once you pass the three criteria, you need to maintain your FC according to the FC/CYA chart.

Take care.

Sorry if you misunderstood. Again, if you have active algae you did not pass all three of the criteria for a successful SLAM.

So - you should go back through the SLAM procedure.

No need to go above the shock level of FC based on your CYA. It will just be a waste of chlorine. But maintenance of the FC at shock level is needed.

Take care.

Any chance your FC level is falling to or below the minimum throughout the day? That is what happened to me last summer.. my FC would be too low by the time I got home from work, and the algae came to play.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, any chance it could be mustard algae? I don't have experience with it, but I do know that mustard algae requires a higher FC during SLAM.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/148-mustard-algae

Sorry I keep editing! ha! Redo the OCLT tonight, just to be 1000% sure you are dealing with algae. I just had to do that.. I was SLAMming for 17 days and turns out, I have some other debris, not algae! Once you verify IF it's algae, perhaps raise your FC to mustard algae levels. See if that helps!

Many times we find that recurrent algae in specific localized spots are the result of poor water circulation in those areas. While you bulk pool water may have a FC of 7, a localized area with poor circulation may drop considerably below that.

Brushing in that area not only breaks up the colony, it adds circulation to that area.

See if yo can adjust your return water jets to make sure water is circulation will in those known problem areas.

I jumped in the pool today and did a very thorough scrub of all surfaces (including my troublesome steps). I also removed the pool light, and found a flurry of dirt -- slightly colored similar to my algae color -- behind it. I scrubbed it as best I could (yuck). And now I'm beginning the shock. Let's hope this does the trick...

My guess is that it's your light and steps causing your issue. I've read a few times on this forum where the light has been the issue that is often overlooked. Do whatever you can to get that clean!

Can you remove the steps to clean? Maybe some different sized brushes could be needed to get in all of the cracks/crevices around the steps.

Good luck, I know this can be super frustrating!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.