Cannot get FC level to rise in green pool

We've backwashed twice I think so far, so about once a day. CYA has not fully dissolved yet so I haven't checked the level. Out of three socks, one has dissolved, the second was moved from the pole you see in the right side of the pic to the skimmer basket, and the third sock is still hanging from the pole in front of the return. The skimmer sock should be dissolved by this evening so the third sock will be able to be moved to the basket. We could only get one in there at a time without disrupting the flow. But since FC is holding well, I'm not too concerned about it.

Lots of patience at this point! Go, filter, go!

Question!

Here is my latest (limited due to being mid-SLAM) test results:
FC: 5.5 (raised to 12)
CC: 1
pH: 6.8
CYA: 20

So we added bleach to raise to 12, and the last of the three socks is in the skimmer basket which should get us to 30 CYA. However, my pH is low. It was a bit lower than 7.2 when I began the SLAM, and was still sitting at about 6.8 when FC was 5.5

Can I raise the pH mid-SLAM? Should I wait until my FC levels lower prior to raising pH? I will test my TA as well prior to adding anything so I know whether to use borax or soda ash.

Will do. When we checked FC last night after SLAMing to 12, the FC was at 18. Why so high? I wonder if our pool size is off? We used the calc with length, width, shallow and deep end (estimated), so I'm not sure why our numbers are so off. This could also explain why our pH got so low prior to starting SLAM because we had to lower it from 8.0.

Will do. When we checked FC last night after SLAMing to 12, the FC was at 18. Why so high? I wonder if our pool size is off? We used the calc with length, width, shallow and deep end (estimated), so I'm not sure why our numbers are so off. This could also explain why our pH got so low prior to starting SLAM because we had to lower it from 8.0.
This is a good way to narrow down what your true pool volume is. As you make chemical additions watch the reaction. If, as you are seeing now that an addition has greater impact than expected you can usually assume that the pool is smaller than thought. You can dial back the volume a little and continue to watch in the same way.

Ah, good point. I'll do some experimenting then. Thanks!

We're still pretty cloudy, not much of a change since yesterday. I guess this is the slow part! We had such a dramatic change the first 24 hours, and now my poor fiance expects to come home from work to a clear pool :shock:

Ok, pros of this product looks like it's environmentally friendly, use less (3lbs = 25lb of DE), and works better? Reviews look mixed though, but I'd trust someone from TFP over Amazon!

Does this product just disintegrate? Or will I have to clean out the filter after it does its job?

Ok, pros of this product looks like it's environmentally friendly, use less (3lbs = 25lb of DE), and works better? Reviews look mixed though, but I'd trust someone from TFP over Amazon!

Does this product just disintegrate? Or will I have to clean out the filter after it does its job?
Sorry, I missed your question before. It is just backwashed out of the filter along with the dirt & dead algae. So, each time you backwash you need to add it back again. I'm still using the one bag I purchased two years ago. Once my pool got sparkly clear I don't use it much.

Remember, only add enough so that your pressure goes up 1 PSI. backwash when the pressure goes up 20-25% over the clean pressure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, I had to add 12 cups of that stuff to get the pressure gauge to even move! Is that normal? It works though! I can already see the bottom of the shallow end! I just didnt expect to be using THAT much. It aligns with the directions though. our filter is 3.1 sq ft of the top sand area (i think that's how it's measured) which equates to needing 12 cups of the stuff. I may need to order a second bag if I have to keep adding 12 cups after backwashing

So, I had to add 12 cups of that stuff to get the pressure gauge to even move! Is that normal? It works though! I can already see the bottom of the shallow end! I just didnt expect to be using THAT much. It aligns with the directions though. our filter is 3.1 sq ft of the top sand area (i think that's how it's measured) which equates to needing 12 cups of the stuff. I may need to order a second bag if I have to keep adding 12 cups after backwashing
Woah. You have a sand filter. Only add a cup of DE to start with. Wait a half hour and check pressure. 12 cups are what you add to a DE filter. It only takes me a 1/4 to 1/2 cup added to my sand filter to get a 1 to 2 psi increase.

I may have spoke too soon, we may be done SLAMing!

FC: 10
CC: 0.5
pH: 7.2
TA: 130

I'm not sure why my CYA didn't go up to 30, since I had added enough per the calculator. I will be picking up more conditioner today so I can get it up to ~40. Before bed last night, FC was at 10, so we didn't lose any overnight. CC has been between 0 and 0.5 for the last few days. I can see the bottom drain clearly, but its not CRYSTAL clear, if that makes sense.

Is the SLAM done?

I may have spoke too soon, we may be done SLAMing!

FC: 10
CC: 0.5
pH: 7.2
TA: 130

I'm not sure why my CYA didn't go up to 30, since I had added enough per the calculator. I will be picking up more conditioner today so I can get it up to ~40. Before bed last night, FC was at 10, so we didn't lose any overnight. CC has been between 0 and 0.5 for the last few days. I can see the bottom drain clearly, but its not CRYSTAL clear, if that makes sense.

Is the SLAM done?
Do your pool a favor and give it another day or two. Did you add DE or Cellulose Fiber DE replacement to the sand filter? That will help clear us the water.

This is the point many people fail, they pass two criteria and the water is "clear enough". Lets see if we can get it really clear.

TFPC clear is you can't tell for sure there is water in the pool on a still night. Or you can read heads or tails on a dime in the deep end. Or you can see if you have phillips head or flat head screws in your main drain cover. Or you look at your pool water and say it has to be physically impossible for water to be any clearer than this. There are some clear water pics in my build thread, link in sig.

Thank you, I will check out your thread!

Once the wind died down last night, we were able to get a good look at the clarity, and I'd say it's pretty darn clear! I'll take a pic later on tonight of the deep end. Our FC level didn't budge overnight, and our CC is at 0! I added chlorine one last time this morning to get up to SLAM level until we can vacuum later and verify were clearer than clear. I also need to add more conditioner tonight to get our CYA up a bit, because we have direct sun for most of the day.

Thank you for helping me out the last 8 days!

I just referred my coworker here, too. She didn't open her pool last year, but I sent her this site and the link to the test kit so she will be ready!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.