Can you turn pump on and vacuum pool with water below scammer? Water will still run t

Apr 28, 2018
Chesterfield va
Can you turn the pump on and vacuum your pool with the water below the skimmer have a Lotta dead algae at the bottom that I would like to vacuum up before I fill the pool all the way up?
Seems as long as water is going through pump should be ok. Any thoughts?

Re: Vacuum

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Depends on your plumbing setup, but not likely very easily as you would need to get the water to stay in the vacuum hose and keep the pump primed. Often air gets sucked in.

Worth a try I suppose. But as you add water in the vacuum hose it is just going to drain into the pool unless you seal the end with your hand.

Just do not let the pump run more than a minute or so without getting water to start priming.

If you can get the vacuum hose full and run the pump, just keep the water running into you skimmer from on top. This will keep water around the top and keep the seal. Any extra water will go into the pool and fill.

I have done this before, but as JoeSelf pointed out, you would need to pour water into the skimmer up to the top level
to maintain a primed vac hose. I used a bucket filled with water to top it up when it empties halfway
as the suction will draw some of that water in over time through the fitting. But I like his garden hose filling
idea better come to think of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.