Can you over flocucate a pool, If so what should i do?

DiaKoNos

May 3, 2024
Douglasville, GA
Hello everyone, just joined and looking forward to the education and interaction from the forum.

I am in the process of preparing the pool for the family. My initial phase was full of backswimmers, algae, and leaves.

I have done treatment in this order:
1. Triple shocked
2. tested
3. conditioner
4. soda ash
4. May 4th 8pm floculant (32 oz... an entire bottle) <---- possible error among others...
5. May 5th 1:30pm vacuumned
6. May 5th 4:30pm tested, added one more bag of shock.

7. May 5th 7:20pm Test and Pics

IMG_1941.jpgIMG_1942.jpgIMG_1943.jpg

My question is, did i over Floc the pool and if so what is the best way to correct over floc'ing after i vacuumn more?
Should i floc again overnight or be patient and give the 32oz i put in Saturday another day to work?

Geday DiaKoNos and welcome to TFP and the forums.

We do things a little differently here, as in we follow science based methods that have been proven to work.

Simple answer. Yes you can over flocculant. Any flocculant is too much. I haven’t used any in over 15 years. It has a habit of destroying filters.

We use the SLAM Process method, a simple shock treatment will never be enough.

Not a fan of guess strips, I use K2006 kit. See Test Kits Compared.

Have a read through Pool Care Basics and have a look at FC/CYA Levels

Good to have you, we’re here to help.

Reactions: Newdude
Geday DiaKoNos and welcome to TFP and the forums.

We do things a little differently here, as in we follow science based methods that have been proven to work.

Simple answer. Yes you can over flocculant. Any flocculant is too much. I haven’t used any in over 15 years. It has a habit of destroying filters.

We use the SLAM Process method, a simple shock treatment will never be enough.

Not a fan of guess strips, I use K2006 kit. See Test Kits Compared.

Have a read through Pool Care Basics and have a look at FC/CYA Levels

Good to have you, we’re here to help.
Got it... ordering the K2006C now... I will also have to order some liquid chlorine

Kit will not arrive until friday, in the meantime how long does it usually take for floc to leave the system or do you have any recomendations to help aid this?

Never used liquick chlorine neither, this will be a first. Every pool store i go to sells granualites.

Last edited:
Flocculants need to be vacuumed to waste. Make sure the sand filter is set to bypass, you don’t want flocculants going through a filter. Turn everything off to let it settle to the bottom and then vacuum to waste.

Dry chlorinated products will either add calcium or stabiliser, CyA. It’s an easy sell for a pool store but calcium or CyA will build up over time. If your CyA is in already in the 30-50 range you have enough of that already but we’ve seen many times that the Taylor CyA test shows that the actual figure is much higher.

Good work on your signature, it reall helps with advice. A pool can easily use up to 4ppm a day just from UV destruction and we suspect you’ve got some algae consuming free chlorine, FC, too. 4ppm in a 9000 gallon pool is 37oz of 12.5% liquid chlorine a day. Given the algae I would go with 50oz’s until your kit arrives.