wineman119

Oct 22, 2023
Selden NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m Installing a semi in ground pool and decided to add a light. I have ordered the wet Niche and LED light. I am in the north east and I’m thinking ahead to winterization so I’m wondering if if this was a good idea. The wet niche seems to be plastic It will be in a concrete wall, but it will not be under the frost line my concern is it will crack Has anyone had experience adding a light to a semi inground pool? Will this pose a problem over the cold NY winter?
Unfortunately, I already ordered the pool with a hole to accommodate the light I could always patch the wall.

Welcome to TFP.

What model wet niche and light are we discussing?

How deep will the light be when you say the pool is semi-in ground?

The Niche is a Pentair 620004 and a Poolexa led light. the pool is only going to be installed 18 inches below the ground the rest is above.?however there will be a cinder block wall, Which the niche will be inside, The wall will go around the entire pool, two sides will have a raised cement patio. Unfortunately, the side of the pool, where the light is is not on one of the patio walls It’s too late to redesign it already have the pool
On the inside, the top of the niche will be 23 inches down from the top pool1714312516393.png

23" is a bit too much to drain down a liner pool for winterization.

I would plug the light conduit on the back of the niche to prevent water from getting into it.

It is hard to say what problems you will have. We have been having mild winters but you never know when the Northeast will get an old style hard freeze winter.

If you don't want to deal with it then seal the hole and forget about the light.

You need to consider winterization in designing a pool in the North.

Someone told me to get a piece of dense foam rubber and wrap the extra cord around it leave the light in for the winter. If the water did freeze in the niche, the foam would solve that problem of it cracking. Not really too concerned about the light. I took an Amazon warranty out on it so if it does break, they’ll replace it. Lol What are your thoughts?

Someone told me to get a piece of dense foam rubber and wrap the extra cord around it leave the light in for the winter. If the water did freeze in the niche, the foam would solve that problem of it cracking. Not really too concerned about the light. I took an Amazon warranty out on it so if it does break, they’ll replace it. Lol What are your thoughts?

That may work for the water in the niche freezing.

I am more worried about water getting into the light conduit coming out of the niche and water freezing and cracking the conduit. That would be a difficult leak to repair.