can you drain water on top the liner of a frozen pool?

sise1994

Jan 2, 2021
NH
I live in NH and have a vinyl pool with one of those green spring covers. Its been very snow and rainy lately and the pool is about to overflow. I did drain it about 5 inches before closing but took a look today and its high again. I see some ice on the cover and some sitting water. Can i use one of those submersable pumps on top the cover to drain water? I read somewhere that lowering ice can rip a liner but this water i think is on top the ice so i think it is save but I wanted to ask.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

It is a judgement call and you can see your situation and we can not. The sides of ice can be sharp and any movement of ice can tear a liner. So we recommend that the pool water not be disturbed when there is ice on the surface of the pool.

Don't drain too much water as too little water can be worse then too much water in a liner pool.

Last edited:
Thanks! I don't want to break anything but the water is so high I decided to try to drain it only from the top of the cover witch is on top some ice. I let the sub pump run for a little bit then checked the ice and saw it dropped maybe 1/4 inches so I quickly stopped the pump. Do you think that could have caused any damage?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.