Can you clean your cartridges too often?

I would have to think that spraying them down could have an impact on their filtering ability.

A little dirt results in better filtering, so no real reason to do it very often. Just do it when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

I only do my filter once a year and backwash once a year. Hairnets on skimmer baskets works wonders!

I’ve been doing mine more often simply because I find it to be therapeutic and it gives me something pool related to tinker with. Especially seeing how dirty the cartridge is and rinsing it back to that clean, pure white again. With TFP water all the time I never have anything to “work on” so I’ve been cleaning the filter, just like once every 6 weeks or so - after start up this year and getting the pool cleared up I switched to a brand new cartridge in early May, then cleaned it at Father’s Day, then mid July, will do it again this week because we will be having a large party this weekend, and then that should get me until I close in Late October when I will clean it before putting it away for the year.

Just wanted to make sure that I’m not causing any huge amount of damage to my filter media by cleaning before I get to a 25% rise

Probably no damage as long as you are not jetting a hole in the filter.

You do know a slightly dirty filter filters better than a clean one --------

Probably no damage as long as you are not jetting a hole in the filter.

You do know a slightly dirty filter filters better than a clean one --------

I knew that and havr regularly passed that information out to sand filter users who were just automatically backwashing once a day during a slam or people who have said they backwash once a week, etc.

I DID NOT know, or at least didn’t realize that the advice was equally applicable to cartridge filters. Maybe I just need to find something else to tinker with!

I knew that and havr regularly passed that information out to sand filter users who were just automatically backwashing once a day during a slam or people who have said they backwash once a week, etc.

I DID NOT know, or at least didn’t realize that the advice was equally applicable to cartridge filters. Maybe I just need to find something else to tinker with!

You should really only clean your cartridge when you see an increase in 8-10 PSI from the starting pressure.

Cartridges tend to run low on pressure due to the large surface area.

8 to 10 psi is too much increase in my opinion.

Many people use variable speed pumps now where there is almost no pressure.

The pressure needs to be checked at a specific rpm for reference where the filter pressure is about 8 to 12 psi.

I would suggest a 25% to 50% max increase over the reference psi.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.