Can this be patched or is it a total demo?

You dont have enough time to get an analasys before they come to look. The good thing is you have an idea now what your looking at. Stand your ground. If it comes to it am emgineer will need to do a report and get the specs on mix from the suppliers they will do a few core samples and have them tested.
I'd think at this point they both know it's a demo job. The PB prob subbed the shell to the gunite crew amd hes in a bad spot too. Whether they eat it or they split it is their problem. See what happens and insist on a tear out. If the rebar is improperly positioned ita a breach of contract. It must be built per emgineer specs. Mayne reach out to the emgineer who stamped it. My guy would be flaming mad to have his stamp sitting on that shell a failure could come back to him as well as other parties involved. I've been an expert in 2 trials it was ugly and the homeowners suffered the most. In NJ you not only get reimbursed in a win but your attorneys costs too are added in sometimes doubled depending on contract breach
Thank you! That’s excellent info to have going into our meeting tomorrow, especially about legal fees. The rebar is definitely not to spec. The engineer called for a 12x12 grid, which we don’t have. And check out how close the rebar is to the surface on the longest wall. That’s the wall in which they clustered all the plumbing too. Yikes.

Attachments

• A8BD50D7-54F2-47A6-AAE6-BBD33FCB2DF1.jpeg
    A8BD50D7-54F2-47A6-AAE6-BBD33FCB2DF1.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 81
I offer no expertise like the others in here, but I don't know that I'd rest easily at night with the patch work.

I am interested in the timeline. It's typical that gunite shells will sit for some period of time before they get plaster. At minimum it needs to cure for 30 days by most standards, but most pools just take longer due to coping, tile work, electrical and just industry delays. You said gunite was done in 2017 and then plaster in Spring 2018. If it was late 2017, I'm not sure it's that big of a deal.

The not watering the gunite the days following the gunite was a miss. You said you can't remember if you did it. I'm inclined to say that you didn't though. That's an exciting time, sitting out there for 20-30 minutes hosing things down. I just think that's the type of thing you'd remember. In my case, my PB had one of his guys come by daily and water it, I added an additional daily water to it on top of that. Watering for 1 week (and even more) is best practice as it slows the curing and strengthens it, but I'd have to imagine if it was missed, the pool integrity should still be good unless there was another underlying problem. I could be wrong.
Just found a series of photos showing that the structure did get watered after the gunite was shot. Oh well. We did our best.

Just found a series of photos showing that the structure did get watered after the gunite was shot. Oh well. We did our best.

Watered once, or watered regularly? Watering defintiely increases strength and is in everyones' best interest, but I'm not convinced a non-watered shell should fail as obviously as your's did. I think there were other issues (possibly multiple) and maybe watering would've helped, but doubtful it would've been the cure all.

Lots of shells go umwatered and it doeant lead to this. This is a prime example of a major screw up. It's bad enough that it's all wasted material, but now you gotta demo out steel reinforced concrete. An excavator with a breaker is around 3k a day with operator and fuel. Not fun.

Bright side for them is diesel is cheap right now and were hitting no traffic to and from jobs at the moment in NJ thanx to Corona.

Watered once, or watered regularly? Watering defintiely increases strength and is in everyones' best interest, but I'm not convinced a non-watered shell should fail as obviously as your's did. I think there were other issues (possibly multiple) and maybe watering would've helped, but doubtful it would've been the cure all.
Watered regularly. One of the local contractors who came out to look said it shouldn’t have failed catastrophically even if it wasn’t watered regularly. This afternoon I also found exterior rock (not backfill, but site rock) intruding nearly all the way into one of the corners. There’s half an inch between it and the rebar. Looks like that corner was only 3” thick. Ugly. Fingers crossed our PB will cooperate with a demo and rebuild.

Lots of shells go umwatered and it doeant lead to this. This is a prime example of a major screw up. It's bad enough that it's all wasted material, but now you gotta demo out steel reinforced concrete. An excavator with a breaker is around 3k a day with operator and fuel. Not fun.

Bright side for them is diesel is cheap right now and were hitting no traffic to and from jobs at the moment in NJ thanx to Corona.
We got a quote over the weekend: $12,000 for a 2-day job (with haul away and disposal). (We’ll make sure any bills go directly to the PB, but still had a bit of sticker shock on that one.)

We got a quote over the weekend: $12,000 for a 2-day job (with haul away and disposal). (We’ll make sure any bills go directly to the PB, but still had a bit of sticker shock on that one.)

Has the builder agreed to a complete redo yet? Are you giving the contractor the opportunity to do the work or just getting it done and presenting the bill? Do you have a state contractor fund that covers this sort of thing if the contractor starts playing games? I would think NJ does. Also do you have a timeline for the new build? Obviously this year is a total loss but I would shoot to have plaster done by sometime in August at the latest so you are swimming next season.

UPDATE: So far so good. We just met with the PB and his gunite sub. We have a verbal commitment that they will work with their insurance companies and demo and rebuild. The PB said, “it’s my name on the line; I’ll get it done.” Fingers crossed we continue to move forward amicably. (We will of course get a written contract before we proceed with demo and rebuild.) Thank you again to all of you for your advice and support. You’ve been so generous with your time and expertise.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would like to reiterate an earlier point.
It's great that the gunite sub is playing ball, but your contract is with the PB. Set a personal deadline of when the PB must agree to your terms, and stick to it. I would say 14 business days MAX. This is plenty of time for the PB to agree to terms.

Your terms should include the following:
1. A declaration by the PB recognizing their failure to honor the contractual obligation.
2. A clear understanding that you ( the customer) will incur no costs in the remediation of this problem.
3. The pool will be completed to the specifications agreed to in the original contract.
4. Demolition will begin on a specific date. Demolition will be completed by a specific date.
5. The build will begin on a specific date, and will be completed no later than a specific date. (negotiate the NLT date, give the PB some leeway to deal with the unknown, but not much)
6. Specific Milestones for each stage of the project will be defined. The PB will meet with you at each of these stages and show proof that the work is being completed to specifications. (This forces the PB to be hands on with the subs and maintain oversight. Also, if there is a mistake it will likely be caught prior to the next phase)
7. Repair and restoration of the surrounding area is the responsibility of the builder. (grass seed, cleaning driveways, damage to shrubs etc.)
8. Failure to meet any specific deadline, without renegotiation, will result in monetary penalties. ( this is a common provision in many project contracts, especially when you are allowing them to fix their mistake rather than suing the Crud out of them for damages)
9. Hold harmless statement protecting the customer from liability for injuries to PB employees and ALL sub contractors.

In this scenario, your PB may be gung-ho to get the work started. But he may be less inclined to finish the job promptly. He will be losing money every day his crew or subs are working on this. His financial motivation will be to focus on paying work, and send workers your way when he can spare them. Setting hard dates and penalties ensures his on-going commitment.

One other tip. Hire a lawyer who's not family.

While it's nice to get all the above on paper and legal, theres a fine line of going too far. The PB is only out the shell amd demo, not bad if the redi mix eats the material, amd the pain is spread between them amd the sub+PB. Hes still gonna get paid to build a pool like originally planned hes not that far into it. I give him a little credit for doing the right thing eventually, just be keen on things progressing and cover your bases

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.