can stabilizer (CYA) stain plaster ?

dsl8on,
Yes, un-dissolved stabilizer (CYA) laying directly on pool plaster can easily cause a discoloration, especially with colored plaster.
Blue pigmented (colored) pool plaster is especially problematic, and can also be discolored (whitened) by other means and causes.
It can be bleached and made blotchy by simply maintaining the pool water with chlorine.

And all colored plasters can also become blotchy due to defective troweling and workmanship issues.

The location of the discolored area or areas, and pattern, may help in determining what caused the discoloration.

Cnatra, just a note about divorcing the pool tech -- it really doesnt have to be all or nothing. If you want physical help from a pool tech (eg closing, opening, vacuuming if you don't have time or a robot) but not "chemical" help, you can try my approach. I have a "Do not treat/no chemicals" order on file with my PB/tech service....I only use them for opening and closing or mechanical troubleshooting.

And I do not allow them to touch the water.

You can do these things yourself, but in my case I don't really want to muck with the heavy winter cover, powerwashing it or futz with the equipment.

So it IS possible to get help when you need it, if you need it without confusing te maintenance principals of TFP ;)

thank you so much, onBalance!

it was amazing that I broadcast the stabilizer across my pool and into the jet streams as directed and came back later that afternoon and the stabilizer had bleached out the blue pigment in most locations and then in the deep end where a lot of it collected, it has now become rough and white. first the pool distributor informed me that it was scaling and what I described was caused by scaling, but I immediately sent them pictures and explained that scaling wasn't what caused this damage. so now I am calling them back and asking for a physical viewing to see the individual spots where the plaster was bleached at each spot where the granule landed as well as the deep end where there is a definite line between the vertical wall and floor. thank you again. I wanted to be sure I knew what I was talking about when they disputed my claim. many thanks. ds

Note that our recommended approach for adding CYA to a pool is to put it into a sock or stocking and either hang it over a return flow or put it into the skimmer. We do not recommend broadcasting chemicals that do not dissolve quickly nor even adding such chemicals over a return flow if they do not dissolve quickly. For chemicals that do dissolve quickly, we recommend adding them over a return flow, but also lightly brush the walls and floor in the area where they are added to ensure thorough mixing.

Reactions: CFlaPool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.