Can pump and light share a circuit?

rio

Jun 12, 2017
Connecticut
Hi all,
I'm looking to free up some spots in my electrical panel. I have a newish LED pool light (Hayward ColorLogic) that never gets used and has a dedicated manual switch (which is always in the OFF position). I reckon once my kids get older they'll swim at night and start using it more often.
Assuming the power budget / wire size checks out, Is it ok to wire the light to the existing pump GFCI breaker? The SWG is also fed by this breaker.
Thanks!

Typically your pump and SWG are powered by 220V and the light is powered by 110V.

Is it possible to power your light from one leg of the 220V power feed to the pump, yes, but it would be highly recommended that you NOT do that. There are many things electrically that will work that are not safe for one reason or another.

The power feed to pump (220V) and power feed to an outlet and/or light (110V) should not even be inside the same conduit, due to induced voltages.

My pump actually runs on 110V. It's a Pentair Superflow. There's no 220 in any of my pool equipment. The light draws such little power that it seems like a waste of a dedicated circuit. That's why I would like to run them both on the same circuit.

While it's possible, assuming that the maximum draw of the pump+SWG+light is less than 80% of the rated circuit capacity (16A if it is a 20A circuit). I would also recommend against it.
Post a picture of your panel so we can see what you have. Adding "twin" breakers might be an option.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.