Can my Chlorine pool have Pink Algae?

No hon, the way the test works is "logarithmic" (I had to look that up to learn it, lol) which means that if you're 120, you're really 130. Everything goes up to the next full number.

The test tube only goes up to 100 actually. To obtain a higher read requires you to do a 1:1 pool water and tap water solution, then use that to perform the test and then double the results. I don't see a pool store taking the time to do this...they don't even go outside to read the results like one is supposed to. We just don't trust their testing.

I say use your new test kit and give it a whirl on that CYA test. If you need to do a dilution test, the directions are above ;)

Maddie :flower:

Last edited:
They tested it at my pool supply store along with everything else, gave me a print out, and told me my CYA is 121. I don't understand what you're saying about a CYA of 121 not being possible to measure... I've seen people state on this forum higher CYA numbers than that. Are you saying it will only measure up to a certain point? Confused.

You have a Taylor K-2006, correct?

Why are you going to the pool store?

If you see someone here post a CYA over 90ppm, we always recommend an extended (diluted) test.

A CYA result of 121ppm is impossible with the Taylor CYA test, even with dilution.

No hon, the way the test works is "logarithmic" (I had to look that up to learn it, lol) which means that if you're 120, you're really 130. Everything goes up to the next full number.

To be more specific, what that means to our inability to measure, say 51 ppm CYA (since there is nothing over 100 on a Taylor scale because the lines would get too close together to accurately judge, also 121 is a telltale sign of typical pool store fake accuracy by making it look like they can do super precise numbers to insinuate that their numbers are more accurate) is that people are imagining the lines incorrectly. So there is a gap between the lines for 50 and 60. Now if the dot disappeared in the middle between those two numbers someone would think their CYA level is 55. However, when you look at the scale on the tube it is not linear, each step is closer together as the numbers get higher. You have to picture those same types of line divisions between each line that is on the tube, and you quickly see why trying to guesstimate a digit in the one's column is impossible.

And pool store testing is worthless to begin with. Please don't make decisions based on pool store testing. Pool stores are how problems like this happen in the first place, why trust a place that has already proven just how untrustworthy they are?

Replacing another third of my water tonight. My CYA after replacing a third yesterday, was down to 100 from 120, so hopefully this will bring it into range. If so, tomorrow I will start the SLAM. One last (hopefully) thing... How can I be sure this is actually pink slime? Talking to a pool guy today made me doubt it. He said slime is usually thick, almost like jelly fish (mine isn't, more like a thin film). He said it likes shade (mine was in the sunny part of my pool), he said I would have white mold (I don't see that, but not sure I would), he said it would float on the surface (it's not). He suspects it is copper cyanurate. I don't think it's that, though, because I read you can't scrub that off, and the pink stuff in my pool came right off, no problem. I just want to be sure I'm treating the right thing and that afterwards my pool will be safe to swim in! Any input?

Dom, I went to the pool store to before I had the Taylor K-2006 (plus I needed liquid chlorine for the SLAM.) I just wanted to get an idea of my CYA. They said 121, not sure why, but that's what they said. When I replaced a third of the water, I tested myself with the kit and it was just under the 100 line, so now I'm replacing another third of the water tonight.

Copper cyanurate is typically presented as purple in color.

Have you used copper containing products in your pool? If so, these drains are hopefully removing enough of the copper so it is not a problem.

Started the SLAM. FC is 24.5, a bit over target of 20. Pool is crystal clear and I see no signs of the pink slime I brushed away a few days ago. Since there's no algae and the water's clear, do I still need to scrub and vacuum every day? I'm fine with it, want to do it right, but also don't want to spend a bunch of time doing unnecessary stuff either. When I'm done with the SLAM, how can I be sure that the bacteria is gone?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is your CYA now?

Keep at SLAM level for your CYA today and tomorrow. Brush the pool and any ladders, light niches (pull the light out if you can), etc. If water is clear tomorrow afternoon, do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tomorrow night.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.