Can I wire PS3000 surge protector directly into the Intermatic pool timer box instead of main electrical panel?

Feb 27, 2018
Tucson, Az
Hi,
My 1 HP single speed motor finally gave up the ghost, and I'm upgrading to the Pentair superflo VS. All my research pointed to also installing surge protection to protect the electronics. Everything I can find says it needs to be wired to a 2-pole 20 amp breaker in the main panel. Currently I have a 2-pole 15 amp breaker for the pool circuit. First question: do I need to change my breaker for the new VS pump (it's the 1.5 HP model)? Old motor was running at 220V so I plan on keeping this the same for the VS pump.

2nd question: I have been told by a few people that I can wire the surge protector directly into the old Intermatic timer. If this is true, how do I do this? I think I would wire the surge protector's two black wires to the two Line screws on the timer (or would they go to the Load screws?) but I don't know what to do with the surge protector's white wire. Does this connect to ground?

I don't have a separate sub-panel for the pool, just the main panel with the breaker for the pool wiring that runs out to the timer box.
Thanks!

Jake,

You do understand that your new VS pump should be getting constant 220 volt power..? You can still use the timer, but just remove the dogs and use the manual switch

The black wires from your surge protector should go the L1 and L2 line side screws and the white wires should go to the Neutral (white) wires, not the ground wire.. Does your timer even have a Neutral wire..? I suspect not.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes, understood to remove the dogs on the timer so that it is always on. Sorry I didn't make that explicit. The timer does not have white wires. The black wires from the main panel go to L1 and L2 line side, and I have red wires that go from L1 and L2 load side screws out to the equipment pad. Plus the green ground wire. Where would I connect the surge protector white neutral wire?

Jake,

From my point of view, if your timer has no neutral, you can't put the surge protector there...

Let's see if Allen has any input... @ajw22

Jim R.

I agree. You need the neutral connection in the electrical panel to shunt any surge to. A surge protector does not work without a place to dump off the excess voltage.

Ok thank you! One last question--any reason not to bypass the timer completely? I know it's minor, buy why have a timer running 24/7 when it's not needed? I have a shutoff at the equipment pad. See pic of my timer box with timer removed. My surge protector at the bottom actually goes through the conduit to the main panel and is wired to the pool equipment breaker. It was easier to attach it to the timer box than my main panel. I wired the two black hot wires from the panel to the two red hot wires that go to the pad, and ground is attached to the screw in the back of the timer box. I had power at my pad when I turned everything back on. Is there any reason NOT to keep it this way?IMG_20191130_100514613.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.