Can I use Chlorine Tabs??

From what I've learned what Dreampool said is correct. You CAN use tablets and Run a higher FC/CYA level but eventually it will get too high to manage. Also, You will experience the negatives effects of High chlorine on your swimmers, and even then the level may still allow algae to grow. Then what? This is why it is important to keep the CYA level down so You can run a lower chlorine level that is effective and comfortable for the swimmers and your wallet. I'm finally learning and It feels good. I was overwhelmed just a few weeks ago, but with advise and guidance from these guys here, We are going to have a TFP summer!

I'm on the fence about starting off with the BBB Method - I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I have lots of friends with pools and they all use Chlorine tabs. Not that it makes it the best way to approach things! I just feel like I'd be flying blind (without the forum here of course) if I did go the BBB route.

I was the same way. In fact I even asked, "What if I just do what I did last summer and stop worrying so much about test results?" I already knew it was a bad idea but was getting frustrated and thought the same thing you did. Everyone else uses tablets and the pool store. But guess what everyone else does...They complain about the headache, costs, issues they have with their pools. They tell you they'd never own another pool again. It cost $100/week etc. The problem is they just took a sample to the store and bought XYZ and dumped it in because they said so. They never took the time to understand what makes a pool tick. I did the same thing just a month ago and after $$$ and still having a cloudy pool I looked for help. Chemistry scares people to death. They think, I'm supposed to enjoy this pool, not takes classes to learn how to maintain it. At first, it may seem difficult but the time spent is WELL worth it and will save lots of heartache and money in a very short period of time.

Honestly, things really started to CLICK for me when I started adjusting using the BBB method. Using, hands on, the method and how it works really made it sink in. I'm very much a visual learner, reading pages and pages and numbers can really throw me off. But if you test PH at 7.8 and you use the calc, add Acid, and retest and you get 7.4 You're like " ok, it's that easy."

As for flying blind, that is just the opposite of what you'll be doing once you learn the fundamentals. Many people using services and stores are doing that exact thing. Blindly adding whatever they are told, never learning what or why. Our method here is really about education, not just which product types. Once you understand, you can use whatever you choose and know the values and pitfalls of those choices, whatever they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Edge....I swear your post is identical to my problem and that I thought I wrote it. Finding this site was a life saver for me. My pool looks beautiful and my numbers are spot on. Got CYA down from 160 to 60. When I got my test kit I was so intimidated that I cried when I got it. I thought, what the world was I thinking??? I can never do this. I LOVE testing my water now. It's actually fun! My mother calls me the mad scientist! I still question my CYA test cause every day it seems off so I retest it about 5 times and use the best 3 out of 5 results..lol:smile::smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Edge....I swear your post is identical to my problem and that I thought I wrote it. Finding this site was a life saver for me. My pool looks beautiful and my numbers are spot on. Got CYA down from 160 to 60. When I got my test kit I was so intimidated that I cried when I got it. I thought, what the world was I thinking??? I can never do this. I LOVE testing my water now. It's actually fun! My mother calls me the mad scientist! I still question my CYA test cause every day it seems off so I retest it about 5 times and use the best 3 out of 5 results..lol:smile::smile:

Great to hear. :goodjob: Posts like this keep us coming back to help people. Once you get it, it gets easier and easier doesn't it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.