Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I know TFP always mentions and recommends the Taylor Speedstir but I found a functional magnetic stirrer in my basement. It looks like a smaller version of one you’d see in a chemistry lab. Please don’t ask me why this is down there because I truly have no clue. I haven’t bought the Speedstir because I just can’t justify spending $45 plus shipping on it. Can I just use this darn thing and call it a day? LOL. See pic below. Thanks in advance!!

0B55EB39-9F0F-4F6B-BF5C-EBD7055C6E54.jpeg

I know TFP always mentions and recommends the Taylor Speedstir but I found a functional magnetic stirrer in my basement. It looks like a smaller version of one you’d see in a chemistry lab. Please don’t ask me why this is down there because I truly have no clue. I haven’t bought the Speedstir because I just can’t justify spending $45 plus shipping on it. Can I just use this darn thing and call it a day? LOL. See pic below. Thanks in advance!!

View attachment 117309
New that was a good $45 ?

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Wow I’m amazed by these responses lol! I almost threw it in the trash hahaha. Thank you all for your feedback. It does not have the little white “pill” lookin thing lol. I’m not due to test anything but I’m gonna try it out for TA just for fun and I’ll report back. I see I brought out the chem geeks on this one! I’m definitely not one so either my husband has been doing some Breaking Bad activities behind my back (kidding!!!) or I accidentally took it from my parents house when I moved 10+ years ago. Who knows. But glad to know I found a free “speedstir” knock-off! ;) I’ll report back soon!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You do need the bean as it is what mixes the water by turning around very fast. Look down at my siggy. Call the phone number on the website for the TF-100 test kit. She sells the beans. I am not sure how much she will charge to ship a bean or two. It is worth asking her.

You do need the bean as it is what mixes the water by turning around very fast. Look down at my siggy. Call the phone number on the website for the TF-100 test kit. She sells the beans. I am not sure how much she will charge to ship a bean or two. It is worth asking her.

I found beans for cheap on amazon. Are they the same? Which size should I choose?

I bought 4 of them on eBay a while back for something like $10. If you found them cheap on Amazon go for it. Do yourself a favor and get more than one. 25mm x 8mm is the standard size. Make sure you get enough so you have one for each test and then at least one or two extra for when you lose one down a drain. (Trust me it happens).

Oooh, this just gave me a great idea! One of our closest couple friends are chemists. Duh me. He's a professor and she's in pharmaceuticals. Surely they have an extra something lying around I could borrow in exchange for unlimited pool time (which they basically already have anyway!).

• Haha
Oooh, this just gave me a great idea! One of our closest couple friends are chemists. Duh me. He's a professor and she's in pharmaceuticals. Surely they have an extra something lying around I could borrow in exchange for unlimited pool time (which they basically already have anyway!).
ooh... yeah, flasks, beakers, real titration columns... see if they have an old mass spectrometer laying around and we can send all our samples to you for detailed analysis... you could be the envy of the pool chem world! ;) :D

I found beans for cheap on amazon. Are they the same? Which size should I choose?
I have a bean for my self stirring coffee much, and they appear to be the same as the ones that came with my speed stir. I'll make to make sure I dont mix those up :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.