Can I use a regular blue tarp as my pool cover

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
I have a regular blue tarp that fits my pool. it's the usual one you would find at lowes or home depot. I usually use a micro mesh cover but we had so much rain last winter, I regularly had to drain the pool. So I used the tarp for a week when heavy rain was expected and it worked fine. Then I just syphoned the water off the tarp so my pool didnt overflow since it was a block of ice. Thanks

Will you be able to pull it tight enough to not sag? Im not sure if regular pool covers are made of special material??

Your tarp worked last year, it should last for a winter. Question is how it will hold up when we have a winter with a few feet of snow and the pool is not frozen. It may need some adjustments during the winter.

No, of course not! You must buy something specifically marketed for swimming pools, available only at pool stores at grossly inflated prices! :joker:

You know, if you tie a marble or smooth rock into a bit of the material, you have a nice spot to attack a chlorine (or milk) jug full of water to act as a weight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.