Can I start adding CYA if my chlorine level is 15?

I have a black algae problem and so I raised the chlorine level to combat it. However I forgot to test the CYA level. When I did it seems to be 0 (not a test I have a lot of faith in). The CYA manufacturer recommends a chlorine level of 1-4 before beginning. Is that really necessary? If so I guess I'll have to get a chlorine lowering product. I hope to hear back soon as the black algae is going to town!

saltwater pool
CL 15
CC 1
pH 7.4
CH 270
TA 100
water clear

You can add stabilizer with any chlorine level. You don’t need to lower chlorine.

Add 30 ppm of stabilizer using the sock method.

Solid/granular cyanuric acid (CYA) should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. Squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool according to Poolmath. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from the sock.

Is that a starting point so I don't add too much?
No. 30 ppm is a reasonable level to perform the SLAM process and get your pool clear. 70 ppm or so comes after your SLAM is complete, the black algae gone, and you are in maintenance mode.

Black algae is often misdiagnosed.......do you have a pic?

I was thinking of tiling to permanently eradicate my black algae problem. Guess not. I was wondering if it came back just in the grout or on the tile too? Do you think it is a new outbreak or is it reoccurring in the same areas that it was a problem on the plaster. Tough problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks again. I am worried though about using a wire brush on tile. No one seems to consider tile when they talk about pool surfaces. On the pool calculator I use plaster as the closest choice. And I did read TFP's write up on black algae ( and several others) . That's my starting point.

A tile pool is considered a plaster pool for water chemistry purposes.

I can also add that black algae typically occurs in pools with chronic low chlorine issues. You both can clear your pool once and for all if you are willing to practice the methodology TFP teaches. This is Royce's thread so, Etchase, if you have further questions, please start your own new thread and we'll all help get you both crystal clear.

Reactions: Etchase
Do you meet the 3 criteria to end the SLAM?

You are done when:
The end of the Black Algae article also mentions to keep the chlorine high for a week after the water is clear to kill any remaining black algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.