Can I SLAM with 87 CYA?

Remember that the name of the game is to (M)aintain the FC level. Any time below target (20 for 50 CYA) is less efficient and will take longer. You really need to put some effort in the first day because it will blow though your adds in 2 or 3 hours. Day two it will hold longer, maybe 4 to 6 hours and by day 3 it's holding 8+ hours in between tests.

Do the best you can because its mid week and plan on hitting it often on your first day off. :)

Reactions: bsgross
You really need to put some effort in the first day because it will blow though your adds in 2 or 3 hours.
Got it, thanks! 30 mins ago I added 1.5 gal of 12.5% chlorine to get up to SLAM level. I have alarms set every hour for rest of day to check and maintain. Plan to do that until 10:30 this evening (8 checks) then I’ll resume tomorrow morning checking every 2-3 hours depending on how it’s holding.

Got it, thanks! 30 mins ago I added 1.5 gal of 12.5% chlorine to get up to SLAM level. I have alarms set every hour for rest of day to check and maintain. Plan to do that until 10:30 this evening (8 checks) then I’ll resume tomorrow morning checking every 2-3 hours depending on how it’s holding.
You sound like me when I do mine 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
Be aware that you'll test your Ph before SLAM but not during it. The elevated SLAM chlorine level over 10ppm will produce an inaccurate Ph reading. This is why you want Ph at 7.2 before beginning. You can retest after SLAM is fully completed and chlorine levels return to normal. Good luck and ask away!

Had an interesting convo with a pool care professional who now works for a specialized pool equipment manufacturer. They have been in pool industry for 25+ years and agreed with me that most “pool guys” don’t maintain pools well and to stay out of pool stores. They hadn’t heard of TFP but I briefly explained it to them and they agreed with all methods but one, liquid chlorine. Their opinion is that it breaks down too fast in sunlight and more importantly it raises TDS significantly. I know TFP is all about liquid chlorine and I’m on board, but is there any truth to that or things I should be cautious about using LC? They suggested BioGuard Smart Shock (expensive!!!) and 1-2 pucks a week. After all I have read here I cannot allow myself to go back to pucks… should I ignore all that and power on using my LC regiment? Thanks!

Ignore their recommendations - continue using liquid chlorine.

Since you have CYA of 50, your chlorine won't burn off all that fast.
The dissolved solids in liquid chlorine are negligible.

Reactions: bsgross
Thanks for restoring my confidence! I didn’t want to stray from The Method but wanted clarification on that.

An update on my SLAM. I’ve been holding at 20ppm for about 27 hours. It dipped down to 15 this afternoon, lowest it has been during SLAM. I added 55oz LC 3 hours ago and just re-tested at 19ppm. Added another 11oz.

Water is crystal clear, light algae staining on pebble is gone, and CC is <.5ppm. Last log I put .1 for CC because the color change back to pink is so slight that the sample looks clear but a pink hue can be seen on surface of sample. It’s so slight, 1 drop turns it clear again. It is at least .5 or under. With those conditions met I will do an OCLT tonight. If I lose less than 1ppm overnight I am done!

Attachments

• IMG_2667.jpeg
    IMG_2667.jpeg
    685.6 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for restoring my confidence! I didn’t want to stray from The Method but wanted clarification on that.

An update on my SLAM. I’ve been holding at 20ppm for about 27 hours. It dipped down to 15 this afternoon, lowest it has been during SLAM. I added 55oz LC 3 hours ago and just re-tested at 19ppm. Added another 11oz.

Water is crystal clear, light algae staining on pebble is gone, and CC is <.5ppm. Last log I put .1 for CC because the color change back to pink is so slight that the sample looks clear but a pink hue can be seen on surface of sample. It’s so slight, 1 drop turns it clear again. It is at least .5 or under. With those conditions met I will do an OCLT tonight. If I lose less than 1ppm overnight I am done!
Just fyi - one of the best things you can do when you think you have finished SLAM… is keep going another day or two.
Many people give up just a hair too soon when they want it to be over and it’s very CLOSE to being over.

It’s just the nature of algae… you don’t have to leave a lot of survivors to see how quickly they can replicate!

Reactions: Lilypad and Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just fyi - one of the best things you can do when you think you have finished SLAM… is keep going another day or two.
Many people give up just a hair too soon when they want it to be over and it’s very CLOSE to being over.

It’s just the nature of algae… you don’t have to leave a lot of survivors to see how quickly they can replicate!
Thank you and good warning, I do think if I quit tomorrow it would have gone quicker than anticipated.

Do you go another 24 hrs even after meeting all 3 criteria to end SLAM?
OCLT and CC are easy to determine, no guessing. But I feel like the last qualification, “pool water is crystal clear with no visible sign of algae (dead or alive) on floor and walls” is subjective and hard to determine with a pebble surface. It looks clean now but I am still getting a little green off wall scrubs. To be safe there going an extra day or two makes perfect sense even passing other tests. Just might do that.

I also have an umbrella sleeve that may need a spot treatment. Last night I saw a thread here where a guy had a ton of algae in his umbrella sleeve so that could be a nook where algae is hiding and not getting water flow. I can’t see it like that but can but also can’t see the bottom. Will be harder to get LC down there, might do like a 1oz cal hypo drop in there, would that hurt? And I know about not mixing LC and cal hypo, I’ll be safe there.

To be safe there going an extra day or two makes perfect sense even passing other tests. Just might do that.
I recommend rhe extra day or two, when there is any doubt whatsoever if its quitting time. Maintaining SLAM at the end is far easier than starting a new one in 3 weeks because you stopped too soon.

But as said above, it's not time yet.

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored
That is not TFP clear. SLAM includes brushing. If you are getting green stuff off the wall brushing, water is not clear. (y)
Yeah I realized that as I was typing it but hit post anyways 😂… I have been brushing several times a day but not at each LC addition. Need to start logging that, too.

Sounds like I’ll be continuing this a few more days! I am not being sarcastic when I say I’m truly enjoying all of this, I’ve learned so much in the past week and the support of this community has everything to do with that. Everyone above in this thread has been very helpful (and patient!) and I’ve learned a lot from other threads, too. TFP is incredible! Supporting now!

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
Sounds like I’ll be continuing this a few more days! I am not being sarcastic when I say I’m truly enjoying all of this, I’ve learned so much in the past week and the support of this community has everything to do with that. Everyone above in this thread has been very helpful (and patient!) and I’ve learned a lot from other threads, too. TFP is incredible!
Yeah, you and me both. I'm still learning #alwayslearning When this is over, you will be the master of your pool.
quentin tarantino whatever GIF

Supporting now!
THANK YOU!!!

Hypothetical question after reading this post... maybe because I'm guilty of this. Let's assume you SLAM, water looks good, life is grand, you go back to proper pool chemistry, high fives all around. But in reality it ended a bit early, maybe there are still some algae hiding somewhere in some rock features or around a light housing. What's the outcome? If FC is at the right level, will it not slowwwwly take out those last pockets to total elimination?

Hypothetical question after reading this post... maybe because I'm guilty of this. Let's assume you SLAM, water looks good, life is grand, you go back to proper pool chemistry, high fives all around. But in reality it ended a bit early, maybe there are still some algae hiding somewhere in some rock features or around a light housing. What's the outcome? If FC is at the right level, will it not slowwwwly take out those last pockets to total elimination?
That's why we, a lot times, recommend an insurance day. Should handle anything...

"Water looks good" is not one of the SLAM Process parameters.
Have a read thru the SLAM Process article again.
Until ALL 3 criteria are met,the SLAM isn't over.

Clear means "gin clear" and no visible signs of algae, dead or alive.

Agree on the process. So let's assume I know a guy and he didn't follow it exactly to the letter. He's a total dummy, yes. I will get him tested for reading comprehension skills. But now he's got "water looks good" and water chemistry is on spec. Would the community tell him to do it all over again and do it right this time? Or will keeping the FC at the right level keep the evil algae demons at bay now? Happily SLAM it again if there's some risk that it just blows up again even at proper FC levels.

Agree on the process. So let's assume I know a guy and he didn't follow it exactly to the letter. He's a total dummy, yes. I will get him tested for reading comprehension skills. But now he's got "water looks good" and water chemistry is on spec. Would the community tell him to do it all over again and do it right this time? Or will keeping the FC at the right level keep the evil algae demons at bay now? Happily SLAM it again if there's some risk that it just blows up again even at proper FC levels.
I wouldn't admit to knowing said guy. Maybe you need new friends? LOL.

All seriousness aside, or all joking aside, or both? Ah who cares. By "water looks good", do you mean "crystal TFP clear How Clear is TFP Clear?" with no visible signs of algae? If yes, ride'r out. SLAM again if the time comes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.