Can I run my pump/filter without eyeballs? (Temporary fix until repairs can be made)

x2rider

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 19, 2011
Bartlesville, OK
I've had a leak in my system, that I definitely noticed last year, but seems worse this year.

I've been able to isolate the leak to the return lines.

In the short term, until I can get in to digging down to the return line on the shallow end, I thought I would make a temporary return line, which would involve about 25ft of 1 1/2" PVC (ABS is oddly super expensive at the moment), and 5 90 degree elbows.

Question I have for the end of temporary return line that goes into the pool, should I...
1) Put an eyeball on the end
2) Leave it open
3) Put a 1 1/2" to say 1 1/4" reducer to increase some velocity to get the water circulating?

It’s up to you. The eyeball really only creates more surface movement for skimming. You can mix the pool with the brush or hop in and swim to help if you find it isn’t mixing well with the makeshift return. Or the extra vac/robot cycles will do the job as well.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.