Can I run Cartridge Filter with the 4 cartridges removed?

Re: Can I run Cartridge Filter with the 4 cartridges removed

[quote:15uxl1yw]When you say "no change" does that mean that there ARE bubbles at the filter and there IS air churning in the pump basket?

When I say "No Change", I mean the small bubbles and limited churning appear in the pump lid. EXCEPT THAT
with the SPA ACTUATOR SELECTED --- WHICH "BYPASSES THE "FLOOR AND SKIMMER" eliminates bubbles and churning to pump lid entirely;.

The bubbles and slight churning are visible with Floor valve open; skimmer valve open; OR either open with the other closed. Of course, this is with the Spa Valve/Actuator "closed"

Remind us what "vortex" means to you? Where is it
[/quote:15uxl1yw]

To me, the "vortex" was the swirling draining "in progress" that occurred inside the pump when the skimmer
was manually closed before the "floor clog" was "cleared".

So did you fix the leak under the black lid of the valve at the pump with the actuator already? Does water still come out?

Jblauert

Yes! The spurting leak from the left side of the Spa valve cover below the Spa actuator is fixed.
No bubbles to pump lid; no churning to pump lid with spa selected.

REMAINING:

1) Find or replace relief valve - top of filter.

2) Find suction leak causing bubbles and "churning" to pump lid.

3) Address "heater" plumbing or heater itself "clog" to allow eliminatin of "heater" bypass.

4) Buy and install the plug to bottom of skimmer.

5) Need replacement filter cartridges to make everything purrrr-fect!

lweljwel said:
Jblauert
Yes! The spurting leak from the left side of the Spa valve cover below the Spa actuator is fixed.
No bubbles to pump lid; no churning to pump lid with spa selected.

REMAINING:
1) Find or replace relief valve - top of filter.
2) Find suction leak causing bubbles and "churning" to pump lid.
3) Address "heater" plumbing or heater itself "clog" to allow eliminatin of "heater" bypass.
4) Buy and install the plug to bottom of skimmer.
5) Need replacement filter cartridges to make everything purrrr-fect!

1, 4 and 5 are easy and can be done right away. On #4 I think you mean the equalizer float valve right? Not a plug right?

#2 - I agree with Bama - that actuated valve is the most likely source for a leak...

When you are able to run again ...

Maybe try to run the pool and put a hose on the valve lid below the actuator (on the left) where the water was coming out. Give it some time and see if the pump fills up. The leak HAS to be the pump lid, the the pipe fittings, the valve/actuator, or maybe one of the pool shut-off valves (floor or skimmer).

The fact that water was seen coming out of the 3-way valves sure makes that seem like the place.

Happy Friday the 13th...I am back.

First, you identified the leaks without even realizing it.

Two (2) substantial leaks in the horizontal plumbing that is "too long" from the pump up and past the filter.

Possibly the overheating expanded the plumbing?? ANYWAY, there are many old repairs in that
length of pipe and no easy fixes that I can see.

I was wondering if it would be "smart" to remove the entire horizontal length, from left of the filter,
including the T-connector into the filter, and continuing right and down to the connection on top of the pump.
And then replacing the entire section, re-using anything that I can, intelligently.....a little shorter!
The leaks are located:
1) at the first connection in the horizontal pipe just to the right of the t-connector into the filter ...
2) where the horizontal pipe connects to the 90-degree corner directly above the pump.

I am able to do the repairs, but do not know how to correctly remove and replace the Jandy valve
left of the filter. I am open to suggestions. THANK YOU!!!! [attachment=2:1110rr46]North 1.jpg[/attachment:1110rr46][attachment=1:1110rr46]West view 4.JPG[/attachment:1110rr46][attachment=0:1110rr46]East view 2.JPG[/attachment:1110rr46]

Attachments

• North 1.jpg
    North 1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 49
  • West view 4.JPG
    West view 4.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 49
  • East view 2.JPG
    East view 2.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 49

One additional photo....this one may distort the "too-long" plumbing, but
it may be helpful.

THANKS![attachment=0:2lpgfumw]DSCN4465.JPG[/attachment:2lpgfumw]

Attachments

• DSCN4465.JPG
    DSCN4465.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 49

First, if the pipes at the filter are leaking, you will want to fix them. Although I do not see very much exposed pipe to the left of the filter to couple to, so it maintain the same set up could be tricky. Also, because the T at the filter is leaking AND it is connected to the Jandy valve ... you will have to replace the valve too.

But, I do not see the point of this filter bypass (especially since it does not even go through the heater) and it could be how you got in trouble in the first place. The easiest fix would be to put a new pipe from the pump into the filter using 2 90s (no Tees) and then just cap the short piece of pipe exposed near the SWG ... basically removing the filter bypass.

Second, the leaks you described are on the pressure side of the pump so would not be causing the churning water in your pump basket. Is that still happening? Because if so, there is still a leak on the suction side.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thank you! I like your suggestion. The valve has been questioned by everyone who has ever seen it.
The bubbles...As I recall, they are nearly gone...but I need to check. I tightened the lid to the skimmer valve
just before the pump. (???).

I have shut the system down because the leaks have gotten so bad. I'll let you know.

AGAIN, Thank you!!!!!

Hello!!!! [I will never touch the fonts ever again!!! Better late than never?]

OK... back to the bubbles.

First...the plugged heater...was not the heater! It was the Aquapure Cell!

Buildup, pine needles, etc. Likely plugged completely. Cleaned and
all better now.

But, the bubbles. I am checking the actuator right now.
Just wanted to let you know. I am pretty sure you [all] are right!

:wink:

[attachment=0:1xeir29y]Cell cell.jpg[/attachment:1xeir29y]

Attachments

• Cell cell.jpg
    Cell cell.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 46

Making some progress... nice. I would avoid that filter bypass at all times from now on ... too much possible trouble.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

OMG!!! It's all fixed!!!

"By Pass" gone!

Valve actuator was fine. I DID lube the o-rings. Probably the first time that was done
since 1996!!

But the bubbles were still there when NOT in spa mode.
So, I re-did the Never lube Jandy Valve controlling the floor intake...[to the actuator]
I sensed some noise from that spot.

I don't really know WHY that fixed it. There was a bit of debris inside the lid. Not much.

Re cleaned, lubed, o-ringed, re-re-lubed, tightened.

I had to check to make sure there WAS ANY water in the pump...couldn't tell
without the bubbles!

THANK YOU!!!!!! All! WOW! No bubbles in the pump, no bubbles coming from the
pop-up's or the wall of the pool, or the spa. Wow!

And, I learned a LOT about PVP piping and blue cement and the purple prep. [And pushing on the
connection for a minute or so...]

Thank you!

Attachments

• No bubbles 2.jpg
    No bubbles 2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 42

Awesome!!! Nice work.

You willing to put a picture up of your PVC work for the record? :)

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

First, I am jealous of your Tapatalk!

Don't ever apologize for it.

And, I believe I did post my PVC work. It is the new plumbing
from the pump to the intake [top valve] of the filter.

And, the cap where the bypass used to go. I'll post again.
[attachment=2:3sd1b8b8]Front.jpg[/attachment:3sd1b8b8]!
[attachment=1:3sd1b8b8]Cap.jpg[/attachment:3sd1b8b8]
And, I did it twice! Because I didn't do the 60-second hold the 1st time.
That is a very important step.
Also, that pipe from the top of the pump IS vertical...the photo distorts it.
:cool:

I think I didn't believe that those bubbles weren't "special" in my system--like
they belonged there. I don't ever remember them not being there [in the pump lid] Sad, eh?
Good grief it is SO quiet, and so 'clear' ! And the thunderous underground growing
bubbles aren't heard from inside the family room any more. All from one
not-so-perfect Jandy Valve. I would like to understand how that made SUCH a
force of water and air. I can check for debris in the pump canister without removing the
lid now. Who knew? And, last note...
I AM NOT responsible for the remainder of the Dr Seuss
"Designed" plumbing to and from the heater. [Up, down, & around, slide..]
I'll get to that some day.

Oh! I've added a photo of the "Dr Seuss" plumbling "repair" (?) between the pump and Filter.
Crazy! I know why it was done--sloppy lazy way to address the "inconveniently located" Emerson Pump. Can't imagine
what that did to the "hydraulics" ![attachment=0:3sd1b8b8]Original Dr Seuss type plumbing.JPG[/attachment:3sd1b8b8]I replaced that
from in front of the pump to pipe exiting the top of the pump, about 2
years ago.

Did I say THANKS! Your patience is to be highly commended
Oh! Last Question: What, besides the bubbles, would the problem with the floor valve
have caused, that I would see? Will something get much better now with that air leak fixed?

If there is ANYTHING I can do to help another "lost" soul, let me know, I am here!! With Pools, or
legal research, or computer stuff, just to say thanks. I am happy
:wave: Oh! I know a LOT about the Paramount pop-up systems and timeing, and pressures
and most important, the phone number of their head engineer!!!!!

I'll leave you alone now!

THANKS

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Cap.jpg
    Cap.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Original Dr Seuss type plumbing.JPG
    Original Dr Seuss type plumbing.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 31

Plumbing looks good!!! I must have missed the pix before if you had posted them already. Hears to wishing you a clear pool all summer!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.