Can I "open" my pool on my own -- Pentair Mastertemp Natural Gas Heater

Okay, looks like AFS light with service heater light can mean air flow issue. Saw suggestions to check for mouse nest in blower. You have no idea how much i do not like the idea of a mouse next anywhere in my zip code. But i want this thing to work, so i looked by taking off the vented black grate thing off the back of the unit (closest to the brick wall in my pix). I see nothing blocking, but not positive that is where i am supposed to be looking.

Then i watched this video and noticed that this guy, with afs and service heater light, trouble shot it and i can start to try some of that, BUT his unit turned on in terms of he said the blower appeared to have good force — my unit is not doing anything other than illuminating the lights I have shown. Not sure if I should try the stuff in this video or not …

Okay, so I found this video of a guy troubleshoooting his master temp with afs issue. I watched it and guess I can start down his trouble shooting path … BUT his unit went on despite the service heater light being on …. He was able to feel the blower sucking, etc. Mine does not do anything at all other than give me the service heater light …. Should I head down his path or does mine not turning on at all (no blower as far as I know) mean I have something else.

Hi! This may be a stupid question, but do you have the pump on with decent flow when you turn the heater on? I know that my service light pops on when my pump drops to a lower speed (on my schedule, I have the pump drop pretty low over night)

Hi! This may be a stupid question, but do you have the pump on with decent flow when you turn the heater on? I know that my service light pops on when my pump drops to a lower speed (on my schedule, I have the pump drop pretty low over night)
I have it on high speed and have tried it with the secondary suction thing open and closed.

I've reached the end of the road of what I know ;) @Newdude , do you have any ideas or know of someone else on the site who might be able to help? (also, this is my first time trying to 'call' someone into a thread. Hope I'm doing it right

Reactions: Newdude
Okay, looks like AFS light with service heater light can mean air flow issue.

If the AFS light comes on before the blower starts running it may mean the air flow switch is closed when it should be open. Before the blower beings running the Air flow Swicth should be open. The board looks for that. If it finds the switch closed then it errors out and throws the AFS fault.

Use a multimeter and check the continuity and function of the air flow switch.

It should be open with the heater off.

If you blow into the tube you should hear a click and the multimeter should show the switch closed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Thanks, b.lu for trying to get help for me — I am sure I will need to wait until a day or so after the holiday …. People who know about pools are enjoying their pools, as they should. I just have time to look at it this weekend so I am posting while I can, but do not expect or want anyone to waste their pool time on my issue. I will also call the pool service folks again next week — maybe now that most of the “real” pools are open, they will have time for my rinky-dink set up that is completely foreign to them. Thanks for your help —- enjoy your weekend!

Reactions: B.lu
ajw — thanks. I will re-watch the video I posted as it showed the guy doing that. I will need to go to a store and ask what that tool is, then get one. Thanks again.

Update -- i was not up to trying to do electrical testing. Finally got on pool service guy's schedule -- they came out today and apparently there was a rodent nest and damage to wires, including the ignition wire. Heater works (I think -- my kid is having a pool party so I can't mess with it much yet). $160. Could not be happier! Thanks all, for your feedback and getting me brave enough to try it a bit and troubleshoot a little.

• Love
Reactions: Newdude and B.lu

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.