Can I make this swimmable tomorrow?

At that FC the pH test is not viable.

Go into your Poolmath app, under Settings (Gear Icon, upper right) and scroll down to Sharing. Enable Link from TroubleFreePool.com user profile. You must be logging into Poolmath using your TFP login.

I have told you THREE times the pH test is NOT VALID WITH FC Over 10 PPM.

Do NOT ADD ACID NOW.

I only asked to double check after the PB recommended adding some acid,

You are getting bad advice outside of this forum:
  • Your SWG was setup incorrectly that got you into this high FC mess
  • Then someone suggested using thiosulfate
  • And someone does not understand the basic limitations of the pH test you have
  • And stabilizer was never added to your pool
Best thing you can do is divorce yourself from those who are leading you astray. Listening to them is just going to confuse you.

Reactions: socra
Wouldn't it be faster to let FC fall to 10 ppm before adding CYA so that you could also check pH and know for sure that its safe for the kiddos to swim?

Wouldn't it be faster to let FC fall to 10 ppm before adding CYA so that you could also check pH and know for sure that its safe for the kiddos to swim?

High pH is not unsafe at almost any level a pool can reach.

If we have the full picture of chemicals added then the pH should be safe to swim.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe the picture does not do it justice. Many people do not know what clear means.

Drop a quarter in the deep end. Can you see heads or tails?

Okay, I got an 8lb tub of "concentrated dry stabilizer for chlorinated pools". The directions on the back say to dissolve half the amount in a bucket, then pour into the skimmer. Then repeat for the rest of the amount 2 to 4 hrs later. Is this better than hanging a sock in the skimmer?

After looking at that link, I remember reading up on all this stuff last fall before the pool was put in. Now that I actually have to do it in practice I'm panicking and freezing up.
Your awesome. Thanks so much. I do appreciate everybody's help and patience!

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored
Yeah, just take it one step at a time. When you get advice, read it thrice.

Know what you are adding to your pool and why.

Measure accurately, you can even "sneak" up to your target value. If you want to get to 40 CYA, add 30, retest to see what your addition did to the pool, confirm you have 30 and what you added was correct for 30. After a while, it will become second nature.

Yeah, just take it one step at a time. When you get advice, read it thrice.

Know what you are adding to your pool and why.

Measure accurately, you can even "sneak" up to your target value. If you want to get to 40 CYA, add 30, retest to see what your addition did to the pool, confirm you have 30 and what you added was correct for 30. After a while, it will become second nature.
Ive seen that advice multiple times, to add half or two thirds of the recommended amount, them test and assess. I'm taking that advice, especially with CYA. Pool math says to add 8+ pounds, but I'm going with a sock with 4 lbs of powder.
20220510_194010.jpg

It will take a while to soften (30 minutes). If you leave it alone, it will take a while.

If you put your hand in and squeeze, squeeze, squeeze, you can do 4lbs in about 1/2 hour.

Some brands are easier, and some brands take a while, why? Just dissolve different...

Reactions: magiteck and socra
It will take a while to soften (30 minutes). If you leave it alone, it will take a while.

If you put your hand in and squeeze, squeeze, squeeze, you can do 4lbs in about 1/2 hour.

Some brands are easier, and some brands take a while, why? Just dissolve different...
If you can make it work, I find suspending the sock in front of a return jet speeds up the process. The constant agitation of the water shooting at the sock helps to dissolve it. I have an AGP and I tie a string to the return pipe, but I’ve seen folks with an in ground place the end of the string under a heavy patio block or similar. You just don’t want the sock sitting against the pool wall.

We have seen folks who put the sock in the skimmer and then the sock breaks and the solid stabilizer clogs the skimmer line.

It is less of a problem if the sock is suspended in front of a return and the sock breaks. And the stabilizer seems to dissolve better.

If any stabilizer gets on the pool floor brush it around until it dissolves.

full

full

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.