Can I leave Polaris 280 in pool all winter?

JoannaB

Oct 17, 2018
Lake Oswego, Oregon
I don't 'close' my pool in the Northeastern US sense. I add a lot of bleach, turn off the heater and run the pump about 2 hours a day all winter. The lowest the pool water temp gets is about 45 degrees. My pool (despite an automatic cover) gets a lot of pine needles and worms during the winter. Every spring I open to a mess and have to drain a lot of water because of all the undissolved solids. This year it occurred to me to leave the Polaris in the pool and go out and run it periodically to try to keep the debris in check. Can the Polaris tolerate being in cold water for 6 months? It's been a great little workhorse the past 8 years. I'd hate to kill it!

Are you going to want to reach in to cold water and pull that bag out to empty?

Since it isn't a robot, I don't foresee any mechanical problem.....and if the lil fella does go paws up, well, that's just an indication that its time to upgrade to a robot in the spring!! ;)

Maddie :flower:

At first thought it seemed to me not to be a problem however if the water temp goes below 70 the hose stiffens and the robot effectiveness is decreased. There is an older thread on this but here is a succinct blurb on it:

If you run your pool cleaner when the weather is cooler, you’ll lose that benefit of having softened up the hose and cable by laying them out in the sun. They’ll harden up again, which will increase the probability of tangling.

The first solution is to avoid running your cleaner when the temperature dips below 70°F (21°C). If you absolutely have to run it in cool weather, try laying the hose and cable out in the sun for a little while before putting the cleaner in the pool. Then keep an eye on the cleaner as it works so you can untangle any knots as soon as they occur.

———-

I have significant amount of pine straw. Leaves and creepy crawling and jumping beasts but over the winter with pool covered with a huge tarp called a pool cover the pool remains relatively free of solids. The cover is stretched tight and anchored with stakes. In the past we used the water filled things and placed them all around the edge of the cover but stopped that. I guess if your cover is automatic it doesn’t extend over the coping/deck. You could buy one of those pool cover aka tarps and try that on top of the auto cover.

I leave mine in year round. When it gets cold it will not work as well as the hose gets stiff and it cannot reach as far as when it is warm. I just run it less. As long as you keep your water balanced year-round you should not have a problem. mine is seven years old and has never been rebuilt. Still works like a champ.

That's promising news! the debris collects at the deepest point of the pool, for the most part, so it won't need to reach to the far corners. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks

Please let us know how it works out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.