Can I just block off the old return line used for the Polaris pump?

Hammmerhead

Mar 18, 2019
Arkansas
Hello and thanks for the help. I have about a 10 year old pool that once used a smaller additional pump to run an old Polaris. It had a flexible hose that could be attached from that pump to the single return line for that Polaris. When the Polaris pump was not in use, the flexible line would be joined from the return to the wall jets return. Since I now use an electric pool cleaner, and one of the hose fittings has broke can I just block off the old return line and eliminate this hose?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
you would have to explain your plumbing a little better and some pics would really help. from what Im reading you are saying when you didnt use the polaris, you had a piece of flexible hose inside the pool water going from the cleaner port back to the skimmer port? thats not the way it should work, and if it was me I would see if you could utilize that port for a return or some other use, at least keeping it for a backup. how many skimmers, how many returns and describe "skimmer return" i am envisioning a venturi skimmer when you say that

Looks like you are pulling water into pump thru the 3way valve between bottom drain and a skimmer. Then you have a single return line out of pump/ filter/heater. How many returns do you actually have inside the pool? And can you explain the flex hose is it inside the pool water like I described?

The pump would pull water from the return side of the plumbing and pump it to the single return jet on the middle wall that you would hook up the Polaris or a floating water fountain. When they didn't use the pump, the hose would be attached to the main jets return and the single middle jet in the wall. (Forgot what you call the middle jet used for cleaners and fountains) I have a lot of returns in the pool for its size. 6-8 Im guessing

i think you are describing it wrong im having a hard time following.......I cant see behind the filter where the outlet pipe of your heater goes. what was in between the unions in your pic? looks like a SWG spot. if so Im guessing the cap is the line your talking about going out to the pool and the broken pipe is the outlet going to your return jets? the booster pump was in between those two points Im assuming. If so you can leave the pipe capped as is and cap the line in the pool. dont leave it open it will be a source for nasty stuff to grow and hide. you will then have to dig a little on the return line and free up some space to be able to cut the pipe lower, install a coupling, put a piece of pipe in and then attach a 90degree fitting and continue to your union for the SWG. I do see a hex fitting on the broken fitting that is a bushing. that may be a threaded fitting and if it is you can take that out and just thread a plug in with some sealant and not have to cut anything. hard to tell from pics theres alot of goop on all your piping

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.