Can I install a SWG with high TA?

Poolnurse

Aug 2, 2019
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Hello!
We unwinterized our pool a couple weeks ago and are planning to install a SWG for the first time. We have the equipment and the salt and are waiting for the chemistries to be in the correct range before adding the salt. We were all set and balanced until I decided to add borates for the first time bc of the many advantages I read about here. For ease and to avoid waiting in lines at the stores during the pandemic, I ordered supreme proteam plus online. I followed the instructions on the container and now 2 days later my TA which started at 70 is 130. I thought it was supposed to keep everything else more balanced vs adding Mule team and MA?!

Here are my chemistries:
FC 10
CC 0
pH 7.4
TA 130
CH 400
CYA 75
Salt 0
Borates 50
Temp 60
Csi (per pool math) -0.14

Everything is clear with no (<1) overnight FC loss.

I read that I should only lower TA if it's throwing off the CSI, which it's not. But pool school also says that getting TA between 60-80 is important for SWGs. So what should I do? Add acid and aerate over and over until the TA comes down or go ahead and proceed with adding salt and installing the SWG?
Thanks!

A SWG will work fine with any TA. Your TA is fine. Don’t let it stop you from all the benefits of a SWG.

If you can work your TA down then all the better. No rush though.

Why_Should_TA_be_Lowered_with_a_SWG?
Thank you! I was really regretting adding the borates since it seemed to throw everything out of whack, but this reassured me I made the right choice for the long haul.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.