Can I cap off my cleaner lines to run my filter pump?

Poiks

Bronze Supporter
Jun 22, 2019
McKinney, TX
Hi all,

I many others in N Texas lost our cleaner pumps during the freeze. I'm guessing it'll be weeks before I can get service.

The cleaner pump (Polaris PB4SQ) always has water flow when the filter pump is running, so the broken pump is keeping me from running the pool filter pump. Would it do any damage if I cut the line into (and maybe also out of) the cleaner pump and capped it, so I can run my filter pump?

Secondary question: I can get the pump head for$79, while the full unit with motor is $400. How can I tell which I need? The motor runs, so I'm hoping just the pump head?

Thanks!

You can cap off the pickoff line from the return to the booster pump without causing any problems.

There is no telling what parts your pump needs without examining it.

I capped mine off today for this same reason. It worked great! My plumber friend had the caps I needed. They are the white caps on the end of the black pipes. We have ordered just the pump head piece in hopes that fixes the leaking, but won't know until we try it. I can feel a crack on the underside of the pump head. Waiting on it to ship.

Attachments

• 20210222_145251.jpg
    20210222_145251.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: Poiks
Where did you order the pump body piece? I have the same pump with the crack only in the pump body and have been having a heck of a time trying to find it part number is R0723100. I’m also in Houston

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll ask my husband, but he did tell me yesterday that he got an email saying it won't ship until April 4th 😒. Looks like I'll be without my little cleaner for a while.
Also, the part number we need is different than the number you listed. But mine is a Pentair Boost Rite cleaner pump. We need part# ZBR39320. It's back ordered on every website I've looked at.

Last edited:
Still couldn't find the Polaris pump body anywhere, but Leslie's Pool Supply had a stack of full PB4SQ pumps (with motor) on the floor, so I finally just bought and installed the whole thing. Waste of $300 but at least my pool is being cleaned again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.