Can evaporation occur with autocover closed?

mmesqc1578

Jul 3, 2020
Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
If keep autocover closed at night, can evaporation still occur? Lost about 1/8 inch in 18 hours. 3 of the hours the cover was open. Water is kept warm 80 degrees and night temps here are in 50s.

How'd to happen to notice just 1/8 inch? I'm sure you wouldn't lose it through a closed cover. With that difference in temps you'd get a lot of condensation on the bottom of the cover. Some of that condensation would roll up with the cover but probably 1/64" or less.

Reactions: mmesqc1578
That's a huge temperature differential. There is a very large driving force for evaporative loss. Any exposed pool water will want to evaporate at that temp. 1/8" is really small so I'm not too surprised

Reactions: mmesqc1578
How'd to happen to notice just 1/8 inch? I'm sure you wouldn't lose it through a closed cover. With that difference in temps you'd get a lot of condensation on the bottom of the cover. Some of that condensation would roll up with the cover but probably 1/64" or less.
I marked water level with piece of tape at skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.