Can Clarity Be Restored to the Clear Plastic Pump and Leaf-Trap Covers?

Dec 13, 2015
Surprise, AZ
Just wondering if anything can be done to restore the clarity of the clear-plastic pump and leaf-trap covers. It seems that over time, these covers become hazed and darken, most likely due to UV light from the sun. This makes it hard to check for debris. Usually, I need to wet them down in order for me to see in. Are there any products out there to always give it a wet appearance and/or restore the clarity of the plastic? I was thinking about automobile headlight restoring-polish, but maybe there is something better out there. The only other option is to replace them, which the big ones are a bit pricey. Thanks!

The easiest solution would be to thoroughly clean them with alcohol, then paint with clear gloss Krylon Fusion paint. Thin coats.

If you want to do a really good job, wet sand the surface with 400 grit, then 600 grit, then 2000 grit and do the above afterwards.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the ideas, guys. I appreciate it!

After the 3:1 acid-wash, I may try a polishing compound for automotive paint with a dual-action buffer pad.

As for the "wet look," perhaps something like Mother's Back to Black or Armor All. The trouble there, however, is making it last.

I will report back!

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I appreciate it!

After the 3:1 acid-wash, I may try a polishing compound for automotive paint with a dual-action buffer pad.

As for the "wet look," perhaps something like Mother's Back to Black or Armor All. The trouble there, however, is making it if las

I will report back!

The clear gloss paint I mentioned above will do it in just a few minutes. Do the wet sanding and it will look like new.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.