Can anything be done to lower PH levels long term?

crosley

Mar 27, 2014
Arizona
I've had a plaster pool for several years now (20k gallons) in Phx AZ area, and with the addition of a SWG, the pool needs a lot of muratic acid. I almost never had to do it with a fiberglass pool.

I basically have to drop one gallon per week to get it into the zone.

Is there anything I can do to lower this long term besides just dropping a lot of acid in there? I don't really have any water features. I've read borates just make the PH hard to go up, but also harder to go down and it's basically a wash in terms of total chemicals.

Your pH rise is due to aeration and fill water chemistry. The TA of your fill water is most likely high, which you add when your pool water evaporates. Then you need to add acid to lower the pH (and that also lowers the TA).

Do you manage your CSI? What is your TA?

If you do not have a proper test kit, that is step one.
Order a TF100 test kit
The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want.
I also have the SpeedStir. It makes testing much easier.

Then you enter your test results into PoolMath. It calculates CSI - Pool School - Calcium Saturation Index (CSI))

Keeping CSI between -0.6 and 0 keeps your SWCG scale free.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you test for TA right now? That could be the driver of your pH.

I keep my TA at ~60 ppm to combat my ~130 ppm TA fill water.

Then you have no idea what your TA is. Test strips are lovingly called 'guess strips'. They are worthless.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1: WE do not sell anything. I am not an employee of TFTestkits and neither is Marty. If you have a question about why they sell a certain item you will have to contact them.

2: Show me where TFTestkits sells a test strip that measures TA.

All test strips are worthless, IMO. But we aren't talking about salt or borates, so the fact that TFTestkits sells those is immaterial to this discussion. As it is for any discussion as our advice is not dictated by what a company sells. TFP is a non-profit, it does not run ads and the advice given here is not run through a business filter. What TFTestkits chooses to sell does not affect our opinions.

All test strips are worthless, IMO. But we aren't talking about salt or borates, so the fact that TFTestkits sells those is immaterial to this discussion. As it is for any discussion as our advice is not dictated by what a company sells. TFP is a non-profit, it does not run ads and the advice given here is not run through a business filter. What TFTestkits chooses to sell does not affect our opinions.

I think I'll go with one of the Taylor kits on Amazon if I decide to upgrade, but in this case, I think I can get by without.

I think I'll go with one of the Taylor kits on Amazon if I decide to upgrade, but in this case, I think I can get by without.

That's fine. We do not provide chemical guidance based on test strips or pool store tests.

Good luck.

Just to add a little bit to the discussion, yes they sell salt and borate test strips. But neither of those really require a highly accurate or precise test result. Personally I prefer the Taylor drop base salt test and there is a more accurate borate test however it is a little more complicated and expensive. And like I said exact answers aren't needed for those parameters.

The tests found in the tf100 or the k-2006 test kits are going to provide the required accuracy and precision to properly maintain your pool. General test strips will not. The choice is yours.

Please note what you said here. I read this as you have decided to not get any test kit. That is what the replies were based on.

TFP can only help you if you are willing to do your part aka get a good test kit. Note two kits were suggested. Taylor 2006C and TF-100.

The choice is yours. We are here, ready and willing to help you care for your pool.

Kim TFP MOD

Please note what you said here. I read this as you have decided to not get any test kit. That is what the replies were based on.

TFP can only help you if you are willing to do your part aka get a good test kit. Note two kits were suggested. Taylor 2006C and TF-100.

The choice is yours. We are here, ready and willing to help you care for your pool.

Kim TFP MOD

The current "middle range" drop test kit I already have measures Total Alkalinity.

Huh? Where did anyone not recommend the Taylor test kit? Basically the opinion here is buy either as they both get the job done. You said you were using test strips. Those are not recommended here. Am I missing something?

- - - Updated - - -

The current "middle range" drop test kit I already have measures Total Alkalinity.

Early on you indicated that you tested TA with a strip. Hence the hesitation to provide guidance on those values. If you are using a drop test kit then bravo! Someone will be along to assist with your chemistry

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.