Can anyone share their experience with robotic pool cleaners

You can read the 20+ pages of posts in the link in my signature about my experience with going from a suction cleaner to a robot (and then back to a suction cleaner) or I can give you the TLDR version -

They are efficient cleaners but they are also the MOST expensive way to clean a pool. They generally have a useful life of about 3-5 years before they die catastrophically. They are NOT repairable once the motor assembly goes bad. There’s minor components that can be changed every couple of seasons to keep them cleaning well but when the motor goes it’s more cost effective to buy a new robot. Considering the mid-line model with limited bells & whistles is going for $1000 and assuming you get 5 years out of it, you’re looking at $200/season to clean your pool. Your mileage may vary.

My personal opinion, given that I have a dedicated suction port in my pool, is that they are not worth the cost. I can maintain just as clean of a pool using my suction cleaner which costs a lot less and is repairable.

Reactions: HermanTX
i love my dolphin 500
having said that
it is bloody heavy to lift out of the pool to clean the filters
i know i will injure my back one day, just a matter of when
i have had it for 5 years and has been to repair shop twice, second time was power supply, luckily just inside warranty
when it dies terminally will probably get a lower spec robot
i leave it in the pool outside of swim season set to clean monday and friday
so pool always looks spotless
we dont close our pools in australia

B,

I have three Robot cleaners. Two at rent house pools and one at my house. I absolutely love them.

That said, I agree with Matt on the fact that they tend to last about 5 years. My last one lasted 7 years and we had a member the other day that said his lasted 11 years, which has got to be a record.

They can be repaired but it costs about half the cost of a new one, so for me anyway, that means I'll be buying new ones instead of repairing them.

All three of mine are Dolphin S200 'style' robots that have no bells and whistles, which I view as a waste of money.

Call Margaret at Marina Pool and Spa for their best deal. They can't sell their robots over the Internet.

Margaret Mills
Marina Pool, Spa and Patio
7777 West Jewell Avenue
Lakewood, Colorado 80232
303-985-0077

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Lanzz
I opted for a refurbished dolphin nautilus cc for multiple reasons-
1: I need an automatic cleaner for the same reason as you, I cannot physically vac my entire pool unless I’m in it & that’s not always possible especially around opening/closing time when the water is right cold 🥶
2: I have a vinyl lined pool so just 1 brush is sufficient & there’s no need for the ability to clean sideways (tile line cleaning). It climbs the wall & scrubs the waterline when it gets to the top - it just doesn’t travel sideways after. It has been plenty sufficient & I rarely notice anything lingering at my waterline.
3. I have a large pool so the Nautilus cc is like the cheapest models (e-10/ s50) but with a longer cord & it also has a weekly timer & automation mode which are things I wanted. Every thing I needed, nothing I didn’t.
4. Going with a refurbished model was a financial decision based on their longevity/ ROI. I have been happy with the decision as it allowed me to get a model with the couple extras (longer cable/automatiom mode) that I wanted for the price of a basic one.

Reactions: Orion7319
Don't even think about it - just get one. Between the robot and the salt water chlorine generator, there is almost no more pool maintenance. Check the chemistry a few times a week, clean the spots around steps, etc where the robot cannot reach and otherwise do nothing but enjoy the pool. :)

I opted for a refurbished dolphin nautilus cc for multiple reasons-
1: I need an automatic cleaner for the same reason as you, I cannot physically vac my entire pool unless I’m in it & that’s not always possible especially around opening/closing time when the water is right cold 🥶
2: I have a vinyl lined pool so just 1 brush is sufficient & there’s no need for the ability to clean sideways (tile line cleaning). It climbs the wall & scrubs the waterline when it gets to the top - it just doesn’t travel sideways after. It has been plenty sufficient & I rarely notice anything lingering at my waterline.
3. I have a large pool so the Nautilus cc is like the cheapest models (e-10/ s50) but with a longer cord & it also has a weekly timer & automation mode which are things I wanted. Every thing I needed, nothing I didn’t.
4. Going with a refurbished model was a financial decision based on their longevity/ ROI. I have been happy with the decision as it allowed me to get a model with the couple extras (longer cable/automatiom mode) that I wanted for the price of a basic one.
I have a Nautilus CC plus and a vinyl pool. I also don’t think the “waterline cleaning” is anything I really need. It seems to do fine at keeping everything clean just riding the walls at the waterline. It makes me wonder if Gunite pools just need more scrubbing, then vinyl pools. I never ever manually scrub my walls. Just the steps where the robot can’t reach.

Reactions: Lanzz
I have a Nautilus CC plus and a vinyl pool. I also don’t think the “waterline cleaning” is anything I really need. It seems to do fine at keeping everything clean just riding the walls at the waterline. It makes me wonder if Gunite pools just need more scrubbing, then vinyl pools. I never ever manually scrub my walls. Just the steps where the robot can’t reach.
They do - because of the rougher/ textured surface & an actual tile line has more tendency to collect stuff.
Before the nautilus cc I had to regularly hit the waterline with the brush or even just my hand due to things hanging around there but I have only done it a handful of times since getting Robert 🤖 & that was mostly due to my ocd & impatience. He keeps the place pretty clean 😁

Reactions: Orion7319
Mine lasted for 11 years also and it finally “kinda” died this fall. It needs a new power cord; that’s all. I decided to purchase a new model because power cords aren’t cheap and I figured that after 11 years it owes me nothing!
I just hope the new models aren’t built like cars: built to break down early.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.