Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Your pool size is 11000 gallons right? If so, get the IC40. Tell them that is what you want. I have a 6000 gallon pool with the IC40. Overkill, yes.

If you get the IC20, you will be able to replace just the cell with the IC40. The power supply housed in the EasyTouch is the same for both.

But realize, you will be running the IC20 14 hours or more a day during June, July, and August. At 100% output.

Take care.
@mknauss , I am planning an in ground, tiled, 7500 gallon pool in FL, with an auto-cover and no other features. I was told the IC40 may over chlorinate. What % do you run your IC40 at during the summer with your 6k gallon pool? I also plan to have a cover with the pool cover add on board for Intellicenter, so I will be able to dial it down or off when the cover is closed. I notice the IC40 % options are 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100. Also what do you keep your CYA at?
Thank you,
Jack

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum.
Will you have automation?
You can adjust output and pump run time to create the FC you need each day.
Tell us more about your pool equipment.

With an Intellicenter, you can easily use the IC40. Though if the pool will be covered, you could use the IC20.

If you use trichlor or dichlor, be prepared to use baking soda. They are both very acidic, will reduce your pH, and lower your TA.
Mknauss, I am planning an in ground, tiled, 7500 gallon pool in FL, with an auto-cover and no other features. I was told the IC40 may over chlorinate. What % do you run your IC40 at during the summer with your 6k gallon pool? I also plan to have the pool cover add on board for Intellicenter, so I will be able to dial it down or off when the cover is closed. I notice the IC40 % 1-100% w automation. Also what do you keep your CYA at?
I also ready elsewhere that you only need to clean your CCP240 once per year. I was thinking of using the CCRP200. Do you think that would require cleaning more once a year?
Thank you,
Jack

My SWCG is run enough to generate the chlorine I need. In summer, it is typically around 5 ppm FC per day. So at 50% for 8 hours per day, give or take.

The filter is cleaned once per year. It never reaches the 25 % over clean filter pressure. In your case, with a cover and little dirt in Florida (compared to our desert), you should be able to do the same with a 300SF filter. As long as you manage the FC correctly and do not get algae.

My SWCG is run enough to generate the chlorine I need. In summer, it is typically around 5 ppm FC per day. So at 50% for 8 hours per day, give or take.

The filter is cleaned once per year. It never reaches the 25 % over clean filter pressure. In your case, with a cover and little dirt in Florida (compared to our desert), you should be able to do the same with a 300SF filter. As long as you manage the FC correctly and do not get algae.
Wow, 50% for 8 hrs. I was expecting it to be lower since it's more oversized than the general rule of thumb (2x-3x). Interesting.
I was thinking of using the CCRP200 (200 sf - the largest CCRP). The pool surface area is 200 sf.

Thank you!

Wow, 50% for 8 hrs. I was expecting it to be lower since it's more oversized than the general rule of thumb (2x-3x). Interesting.
I was thinking of using the CCRP200 (200 sf - the largest CCRP). The pool surface area is 200 sf.

Thank you!

I think the cell total CL generation per day is related to 1) % output you set and 2) how many hours it is in operation. As long as there is the proper salt level in the pool of course.
To better understand how to set the cell, in my case, I found out the cell capacity versus how much CL ppm you lose per day during the summer peak.
I have a IC60 SWCG with a capacity of 2 pounds of CL per day (that is 32 oz by weight of CL per day).
During summer, my 25k gals pool loses up to 3 ppm of CL. From Poolmath, that is 10 oz of 100% CL by weight ( I know this will be fact checked :) Thanks !)
So, the first example, assuming the pump is running 24/7 (at a speed required to actvate the flow switch), to generate 10 oz of 100% CL: take 10oz and divide by 32oz, that equals running the cell 31.25 %, 24/7.
The second example, if I decide to run the pump 8 hrs a day, while losing the same 3 ppm, then the calculations are a bit different. In 8 hrs the cell will produce 32/24X8= 10.66 oz of CL by weight. This is at 100% output during the 8 hour period.
Today, I am barely losing CL, say 1 ppm loss. I am running my pump 8 hrs and the IC60 set at 31% output. 3.33oz loss to offset/10.66oz cell production= 31.24%.
I am just sharing my settings and how I did my calcs.
Puertex

I have oversized my 18 k gallon pool with an IC 60 up from the IC 40. Much happier -- less run time faster increase and maintainece of FC on sunny days. I run 15gpm 24/7 so the pool is always monitoring with full automation.

If you are planning the pool now you could easily plan for a VS pump to go with your SWG. The salt cell only cares that you have enough flow to trigger the flow switch to produce. You can run the VS as low rpm 24/7 and set the cell much lower and still get the needed chlorine. Based on advice here I oversized my cell to IC40 for 9k gallons, and now i set my pump 24/7. Cell is at 10% and will ramp up over the summer some.

Two things to Keep in mind
- cells operating life is measured in operating hours not clock hours, so bigger cell at lower % lasts longer
- VS pump pays for itself with lower electricity. I calculate i spend 14$/mo running mine 24/7 at 1000 rpm with two higher speed 30 min skimming sessions AM/PM…. And get some skimming all the time

B

PS - with Intellicenter I can vary by 1% increments. And have the integrated power cell into the Intellicenter itself by using the IC40.

Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are planning the pool now you could easily plan for a VS pump to go with your SWG. The salt cell only cares that you have enough flow to trigger the flow switch to produce. You can run the VS as low rpm 24/7 and set the cell much lower and still get the needed chlorine. Based on advice here I oversized my cell to IC40 for 9k gallons, and now i set my pump 24/7. Cell is at 10% and will ramp up over the summer some.

Two things to Keep in mind
- cells operating life is measured in operating hours not clock hours, so bigger cell at lower % lasts longer
- VS pump pays for itself with lower electricity. I calculate i spend 14$/mo running mine 24/7 at 1000 rpm with two higher speed 30 min skimming sessions AM/PM…. And get some skimming all the time

B

PS - with Intellicenter I can vary by 1% increments. And have the integrated power cell into the Intellicenter itself by using the IC40.
When you run the pump at high speed, what is the RPM set to?

When you run the pump at high speed, what is the RPM set to?
For me i find 2700 for 30 min works to skim my pool but each pool is different. I do t need to go higher than that for either skimming or vacuum or mixing, at least for my pool.

For me i find 2700 for 30 min works to skim my pool but each pool is different. I do t need to go higher than that for either skimming or vacuum or mixing, at least for my pool.
To skim I run my pump at 2250 rpm or 50 gpm for 1 hr in the morning and 1 hr in the afternoon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.