Can a mineral basket cause the chlorinator power center to blow 10amp fuse?

lylesarno

Mar 27, 2020
Oahu
Hi all! We just renovated our pool. Right after the curing time of 28 days I added a recharge (powder) for my mineral basket that sits in the pool pump basket. This helps keep the pool water crystal clear. Then Wed we had a Pentair IC60 chlorinator / power center installed and within 2 hours the 10amp fuse blew. Pool installer came back out and questioned the electrical so we had our electrician put in a new switch box and new electrical lines to the pump. Fired it all up and within a few minutes the chlorinator (power center) blew the 10amp fuse again. Electrician checked everything and says there is nothing wrong with the electrical. Is it possible that the mineral basket could be causing the problem or potentially I just got a defective chlorinator?

Hi there :handwave:
What is the name of this "mineral basket" doohickie? I'm unfamiliar with it?

Please fill out a signature line (found up at the top right under your screen name) and tell us all about your type of pool, its size and equipment, and how you chlorinate and test. This will help us not ask the same questions repeatedly. Thanks :)

Maddie :flower:

Hi there :handwave:
What is the name of this "mineral basket" doohickie? I'm unfamiliar with it?

Please fill out a signature line (found up at the top right under your screen name) and tell us all about your type of pool, its size and equipment, and how you chlorinate and test. This will help us not ask the same questions repeatedly. Thanks :)

Aloha! Our pool is 15' x 35', 8ft deep, 20,000 gal. We just had NPT Jewelscapes put in due to its ability to last 30+ years. I run a Pentair pump, glass filter, Pentair IC60 / power supply. The installer was just here to run some tests. We disconnected the salt chlorine generator and put a new fuse in the power center and waited for 15 minutes and the fuse was fine. He thinks it could be the mineral basket from PoolRX so we removed it from the pump basket. Turned on the pump and let it run for 5 minutes before plugging the chlorinator back in. Within a few minutes the fuse popped again. The installer is also the Pentair warranty rep so he is going to get a new chlorine generator ordered. He says he has installed over 1,000 of these and never had this problem so he is thinking it is the mineral basket causing the issue. He is going to come back on Monday to try and plug it back in and see if it does it again. Just an FYI... he recommends if you have a salt system to not put the mineral basket before the chlorine generator, to put it after. He's telling me I shouldn't need it anyway with the salt system. I'll keep ya all posted on the outcome.

Ok.... first off- that PoolRX is junk! It will be adding copper to your pretty new pool which over time can make ugly stains and turn blond hair green. No bueno!

Is this a new pool, or new SWG? I'm wondering if your power supply is up to it? I'll ask some pros to chime in-
@ajw22 @mknauss

Something is wrong with the cell. I suspect when it is replaced, the fuse will not trip.

please remove the mineral thing. As Maddie said, it will mess things up badly eventually. And it does nothing to keep your pool water sanitary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.