Calculating square feet of my sand filter

Aug 10, 2017
Houston,Texas
All, I am looking into improving the filtration of my pool. I have a 24'x4' round above ground pool from Intex. Currently using all the OEM sand filter and pump. I'd really like to improve the filtration system, and the best I can tell, need about 30 GPM. However, in all the material I've seen regarding flow rate and filter sizing - NO ONE mentions how to calculate or determine the sqft of filter area when it is not given. How do you do that? I need that information for pump sizing obviously, and I also am looking to put two of the sand filters in parallel to increase my filter area - but here I am again - I don't know how to determine how much one of them is...please help.

The square footage of a sand filter is PI * R^2 where R is half the diameter of the filter.

But unless the filter is too small and the pump too large, you shouldn't run into any issues. What is the model number of the pump and filter?

The height doesn't matter. It is width that determines the sq-ft. In reality it is actually the sand bed radius that determines the area but that is pretty close to the exterior radius.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.